• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unRAID server help. OSX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikelaevlaev

Hello

This is my first time using unraid and I am having a hell of a time. I formatted my flash drive properly and get to the tower login screen then I am having problems from there. I have an ethernet cable hooked up from the server to my Macbook. The server shows up in my network settings "using DHCP" gives me an IP address 169.254.213.173. I can ping the server and it gives me a response. This thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1347.0 , seems to be the same issue, but I have done everything that it suggests ie changed my IP manually to 192.168.0.1 and changed this up on the network.cfg file, but still no response when I type the IP into the address bar. I didn't fill in anything for the Gateway because I don't think I have one because the server is hooked up only to my Macbook and not to my router.

What am I doing wrong here? I am getting very frustrated. Can someone help me?

Thanks
Mike

Ok, you have just one cable from the MacBook to the server? No other net connections? (Router? Hub? Switch?). If not, you may need what's called a crossover cable, not a regular ethernet cable for the two computers to talk to each other directly without a the use of a router or switch. Each computer needs it's own IP, Subnet Mask and router number to function.

The 169.254.213.173 number looks like a random number generated by the Mac itself in the event it does not get any DHCP info from another source. Which means you are not getting any address assigned by a router's DHCP.

Setting your IP to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 makes little sense since that is usually the default address number of a router. Setting it the same on either computer will just give you a conflict because they need to each have their own, unless you are trying to use one computer as the router itself?

Personally, to get it to work correctly, I think you need to hook the mac and the server to the router and set each of the computers a manual address within your router's range so your DHCP numbers will not change on reboot. (Otherwise your IP numbers will change and none of the server drive numbers to mount will be the same). Check your router's current settings to see what numbers you should use.

A little more details on what exactly the set up you have, what you are trying to achieve with it might be a bit more helpful in assisting you. ;) Looking on the wiki, unRAID Server is a Network Attached Storage server operating system that boots from a USB Flash device and specifically designed for digital media storage. Is that right? So I can only guess you want to set up a media server between one computer hosting media and your macbook to view/play it?

Have you checked out the official help sources here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Wiki

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual

- Blackstar

Last edited:
Blackstar is correct about the crossover cable.
The reason for this is that all network cards send out signals on the same "lines"
for example there are 8 wires in a Cat5e cable, so say a computer sends signals on lines 1-4 and receives on 5-8. What happens is that both computers are trying to send signals on lines 1-4 and the information is colliding and not getting to the source

This is the same for any like devices such as a router to a router, a computer to computer and technically a router to a computer (however home 'routers' are actually just switches with a dhcp server so it doesnt matter for home use)

However computers dont need a default route since the default is set to 0.0.0.0 which basically sends every ethernet package out its network card.

just a little lesson in basic networking :)

Back