• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or replace my htpc to use my rift-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

I have an older mini itx build that I use for my htpc. It plays back and encodes 4k plus Atmos just fine but the GPU and CPU is not strong enough for the Rift-S

Cpu: Celeron g1840
MB: H97N-Wifi
2x4gb ddr3 12800
Gpu 1050.

Assume the following to upgrade the current build to support rift S. 4670k ($30 eBay) 1060 or equivalent? Rx580 ($150) Upgrade from 8gb to 16gb ($58) on Amazon

If I replaced the hardware. The cheapest mini itx am4 I see if $130.
Plus cpu so 1600? $85
Plus ram $75 for 16gb
Gpu would be needed for both builds, so $150.

Upgrade old build. $250ish
New build. $440ish?

The htpc is currently housed in a Cooler Master Elite 120 advanced so I would like to keep the mini itx format to reuse the case.

My main rig is an am4 build as well, so I could theoretically upgrade it and use the parts from it?

1600x
16 gb 3200
Nvidia 1080
Asrock AB350 Gaming K4 (atx motherboard)

Possible upgrade the cpu in the main rig and use the 1600x with a new mini motherboard? Use the 1080 in the htpc (would have to check clearance)

Hopefully someone can provide some suggestions or even alternative solutions? Basically the system as it stands now is used specifically for playback from Plex and direct source material. I don't currently game from it and the Rift-S would likely be the only thing I use it for other than playback of movies.

Well what do you want to play on the Rift S? Alyx, DCS, Elite Dangerous are all going to be different from your typical VR games. If you just want to run strictly Oculus titles then maybe consider the Quest. You can always link it to a PC at the later stage if you decide you want to play PC titles.

Well what do you want to play on the Rift S? Alyx, DCS, Elite Dangerous are all going to be different from your typical VR games. If you just want to run strictly Oculus titles then maybe consider the Quest. You can always link it to a PC at the later stage if you decide you want to play PC titles.

I already own the Rift-S. I'm just upgrading my htpc so I can be from there. (More room)

Gotcha. I guess I can tell you that you'll meet the recommended specs but you probably already know that. Otherwise I can advise you that other PC level games have different sets of required and recommended specs.

That said I don't see many sold/completed auctions for that CPU under $50, but it's still going to be less than a new chip.

I would suggest at least looking at the requirements for some of the games you play, in addition to those for the Rift S in general.

I just went through this recently.

After watching a bunch of video's, unfortunately VR isn't the place to skim on the FPS because it can push motion sickness.
I ended up getting a 2060 Super to ensure Alyx woulnd't cause jarring.

Video here:

Tell me about it, struggling with the same in DCS. Currently feel like poo because I flew low level mission in the Tomcat with supersampling turned too high (this would be easy if it was as simple as sacrificing on appearance, but it actually has a marked impact on instrument readability, so it's a constant trade-off).

How does Alyx run for you? I want to try it, but I'm not sure I have enough space.

Back