• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade qustion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I currently have an ATi 6950 2gb card(Flashed to a 6970), and was wondering which current card offers the best bang for the buck?

I was also wondering if I ran xfire with this card, would it be a significant performance increase?

Last edited:
7950 is a killer card for the price.

No clue how mixed Crossfire scales though, sorry. In fact, not sure if it even works...

I don't think you can CF the 69xx series with the 68xx series. Different platform. I could be wrong, though.

Reference

The 7950 is indeed, pretty awesome.

Thanks....the price looks reasonable, but what manufacturer would you suggest? I know that when I bought my 6950 I considered which manufacturers cards could be unlocked and flashed....is that possible with the 7950? If so, which manufacturer would you recommend?

Feel free to post a direct link if you have it handy!

Thank you very much!

I have the Sapphire Dual-X and it's been great as well.

You could also CF with a 6950 or 6990.

do you thinnk I'd get better results from using a 2nd 6950 flashed to 6970 in xfire or going with the 7950?

6970 is cheaper and gives better overall performance, but more potential issues with dual cards. 7950 will consume less power and leave you with a future upgrade option (CFXing that card), but a higher upfront cost.

Though I usually always agree with a single card, I will provide a counter argument :)

I think when it comes to high end options for GPUs, there are really three.

1) A person without a GPU or with a very dated one buys two high end cards for top-of-the-line (and probably overkill) performance (i.e. two 7950s or 7970s).

2) A person without a GPU or with a very dated one buys a single high end card (7950/70) and leaves an upgrade path a year or two down the road in the form of adding a second card.

3) A person with a recently (within the last year or so) top-of-the-line GPU (6950/70) adds a second card in Crossfire (or SLI if we're talking about nvidia) and attains the same performance or better as a single, currently-top-of-the-line, GPU (7950/70).

I think that your situation, Heatmiser, fits this third description. Unless you are against dual-card configurations (which is perfectly justifiable given the hiccups typically associated with them), the best bang-for-your-buck option is definitely adding a second card in Crossfire. You'll have better performance than a 7950 and for probably $150 less.

I do like my 7950 and, full disclosure, I upgraded from a 6950, so I am going against my own advice here, but I only did so because I sold my 6950 for the same price I ended up paying for the 7950. Unless you're getting some anomalous deal on the next gen card, I think the upgrade path which makes most sense is...

Single, high-end GPU...(wait a year)...Matching, high-end GPU...(wait a year)...repeat the previous two steps...

Just my two cents ;)

well this certainly complicates my decision!

I see a few 6950's on eBay selling for around $150

So I'll get better results running 2 6950's in xfire than a single 7950? I've never even looked into xfire, so I dont know much about it. Also, my 6950 is flashed to a 6970 and on water....does that complicate things if xfire is my best option?

Last edited:
I have a HD6990 (core at 880mhz) which is essentially like a pair of HD6970 (a smidgen faster than dual CF HD6950 I believe), and it destroy just about all the games I have thrown at it.....only Metro 2033 at Very High + 4xMSAA + Tessellation + DoF causes it ti hiccup. A second card for CF is certainly a viable option, should be more powerful than a single HD7970/GTX680......I believe.

Quadfire scaling is MEH at best though. No way in he'll would I do that.. not to mention power, heat and noise.

Even with it flashed to 6970, you can still Crossfire it with a 6950 or 70. If it were me, however, I would probably want to match the cards, just to prevent any problems. Either find another 6950 flashed to 6970 or flash back to 6950 and just CF with another of those.

I get FPS in the 40s-50s, I think, with my 7950 in BF3 at 1080P with everything ultra'd out. From the benchmarks I have seen, two 6950s give you almost double that.

alright...well that will cost half as much as a 6950

So, right now my 6950 is flashed to a 6970, would it be smart to flash my 2nd 6950 to a 6970, or restore the flashed one to a 6950?

Also, my 6950 is made by Gigabyte....do I need to find a Gigabyte card, or are there other cards that can be matched with mine perfectly fine? I ask because I see no 6950's on Ebay made by Gigabyte

Last edited:
I don't think you necessarily have to match brands. I would try it both ways (both cards flashed and unflashed) and see if the performance increase is enough to justify it. I know that I saw extremely minimal gains going from a 6950 to 70 shaders. (Maybe 1 fps?)
It'll also be determined by whether or not the second 6950 can be unlocked.

I think you'd be better off over clocking both cards a little instead of unlocking the extra shaders. Not that you couldn't do both, but if I had to choose, I would go with OC.

Bottom line, grab the cheapest 6950 you can. ;)

When you get the new 6950 try and flash it to 6970 and check to see that it works ok before you CrossFire.

Back