• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade to 470 vs wait, need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Current rig:

QX9650 (water cooled)
P45 MB
8 GB RAM
2x GTX 260 using SLi hack
Win7 Ultimate x64

I've always wanted to have the CPU + video under water, but never did it because of funds, timing, and then the 260s became old news. Presently I have access to deal where, for around $350, I can put my grubby enthusiastic hands on a pair of EVGA GTX 470s with DD blocks and the materials required to install them in my system.

Question: How much extra heat will this dump into my room? I know the GF100 isn't terribly efficient, but will it be terribly worse than a pair of 260s? Idle power consumption appears to be roughly similar from what I can tell, the 470s will obviously dump more heat into the room when gaming. Question is, how much? Just a little more? A lot more?

After that: are 470s any more difficult to work with than 260s when it comes to the SLi hack? I don't upgrade my driver very often because nVidia likes to up the ante every now and again with regards to this trick working, and the xDevs site/info is gone. I'm currently on the 275.33 drivers. Will this be a big drawback with the 470s if I stay away from bleeding edge type games?

I don't want to jerk the seller around, but I kinda need to poop or get off the pot and make a decision. What would OCers do? Would you wait and hope for a sweet deal on a water cooled 500 series card once Kepler hits, or would you take this deal and live with the heat?

Appreciate the feedback.

I don't really think it will be an issue unless you are going to use it for folding/BOINC. The disparity is heat production between the two is minimal and you don't run games or 6hrs straight so it is probably not an issue unless your room is the size of a closet. I had to use a dryer vent for my sig rig but that's because I do BIONC runs for 72hrs continuous with full CPU and GPU load. So for gaming its not going to be an issue.

Back