• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading advice! (From 2700k > Devil's Canyon)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyane

Registered
Hi guys I just bought a shiny new GTX780Ti (8bills!!!) and I figure I should upgrade my 2700k with cpu/motherboard (stable @4.4 for over a year) but I want some advice on what I really should be getting. What is popular these days?

I did a little homework and seems that the Devil's canyon 4790k is pretty good and kinda fits my style. What do you guys think? I do alot of gaming and some photoshopping/photo editing/video streaming and alot of internet browsing. So I would lean my rig towards the gaming rig cataegory.

Anywho I really enjoyed the 2700k it's been very very good to me for almost 2 years running stable at 4400Ghz. Price is not really an issue but surely I don't want to be spending over 2500$ over those xeon E5 cpus, nothing too crazy you know. The bang for the buck is the way.

I'm also looking at other factors such as the 2700k uses LGA1155, and Devil's Canyon uses LGA1150 meaning the heatsink will not need a change as it would fit for both CPUs I can save a little money there. As for ram I have the 1600 Corsair Vengenance, I know the Devil's Canyon can support up to 4000 rams, and I see alot of people using 2133 with it. What do you guys suggest I do for this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
get the 4690k and 2400 ram if you make the leap or better yet for you , get a better gpu now and worry about the rest when broadwell is released.

if your not tanscoding and such the 4690k will be plenty, if your single card, something like the extreme 6 will do you just fine. is it that you just have the itch to upgrade?

if your not tanscoding and such the 4690k will be plenty, if your single card, something like the extreme 6 will do you just fine. is it that you just have the itch to upgrade?

Yeah my friend wants to buy the 2700k/motherboard off from me so I figure I would use the money + more from my pocket to do an upgrade. I'm looking at broadwell right now but that's not out yet and once it's out I'm pretty sure the price would be outrageous at first....

If Boardwell is out of the picture, what would be my second choice? My friend is in need for my 2700k/mobo because his fried. So if I want to take advantage of that I need to act soon :(

sell and get the refresh, look at asrock extreme boards, I have the extrem9 but the 6 looks just as good in blue.

I wouldn't worry about changing until at least the release of Broadwell, honestly.
I've got quite a few systems, and the 2600K @ 4.5 with my 780 pushes 5760x1080 without a hitch.

Handles all my Photoshop/Premiere needs seamlessly as well.

I see no reason to change unless you're having problems with your rig.

If you go new, grab a 4790K and Z97 Extreme6 :thup:

I would stick with the 2700k as it performs about as good as the Devil's Canyon when fully overclocked (to about 4.8 ghz). They say a 2600k, 2700k when overclocked to 4.8 performs on a par withe Haswell when overclocked to 4.8.

I would therefore work on improving the overclock on your present 2700k.

i agree guys, but he has the itch and another guy has the cash to buy his gear so for me i say go ahead and upgrade.
if he was looking for a performace upgrade only I would say sit tight and wait.

Haswell is around 10% faster than Sandy bridge. So a 2700k @ 4.8 is like a haswell at 4.5ghz or so...;)

and 4.5-4.6 or so is about the average for devils canyon as far as i can tell, and it's such a roll of the dice for what you might get, so like i said if it's a performance upgrade your looking for, don't bother.

My biggest regret last year was selling my 2600K and GA-Z68-UD7. Cause I wanted to try something newer. Spent 1000's of $$ and wasted many months getting back to what I'm currently running. And I still feel to this day my 2600K setup was better. If ur friend needs an upgrade let him spend the cash buying new is my opinion.

X99 or bust ...... Lol

Seriously you would better served not selling you 1155 ATM
At least for the description you gave of it use

@ Trent's , who are they ?

@ ED 10%
Did you do that in your head .... Lol

X99 or bust ...... Lol

Seriously you would better served not selling you 1155 ATM
At least for the description you gave of it use

@ Trent's , who are they ?

@ ED 10%
Did you do that in your head .... Lol

They refers to the general overclocking community.

10% is actually pretty spot on. Clock for clock we only saw about a 5% gain from SB to IB and then another 5% from IB to Haswell.

They refers to the general overclocking community.

10% is actually pretty spot on. Clock for clock we only saw about a 5% gain from SB to IB and then another 5% from IB to Haswell.

Thanks for clearing that up ATM :rofl:

It was meant to be humor :thup:

Ha! The math isn't right from 10%... but that leaves room for all the haters saying less than 10%, LOL!

Back