• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

So I'm looking at doing an upgrade on my current machine, which is a bit off from my rig in my sig.

Anyhow needing to upgrade my secondary machine really but I just upgrade mine & then move my old stuff from it to the secondary machine.

Main Rig:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Secondary Rig:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

My rig is used mainly for gaming, FPS, RPG's, used to do MMO's but haven't in a year or 2. Will be probably doing CoD Ghosts and/or BF4, New Thief game, AC IV Black Flag, Dragon Age III for future games I can think of off the top of my head.

Currently playing Dead Space 3 Co-Op on my 2 rigs with my Fiance & I'm seeing the 2nd rig starting to have trouble running it & similar newer games on it. The video card also needs upgrade but I don't need help on that front.

Over the years I've mainly gone with AMD as they in general/past been better in the gaming area and/or the price/performance was just better. I'm wanting to get something that will allow me to not have to worry about upgrading the CPU/Mobo for another 3-5 years with a little luck. But without breaking the bank more then I have to. Budget wise I could potentially go with any of the following but I would like to go with the most bang for my buck & be good with what I have as I said for a while in the CPU area.

I may OC the new CPU but it's not a big deal either way as long as stock will run things fine, but if I get bored & wanna play I may do so. Currently don't have my Intel system OC'd but my AMD one is OC'd to 3.8GHz & have gotten it stable up to 4.2GHz or 4.4Ghz I think though it did run a little warm, with air cooling.

So here are the CPU's & mobo's I am looking at... the Mobo's I know really don't go in this section but I thought would be better to just have 1 thread vs 2. And not set on those 2 they just had what I was looking for and/or have good prices etc.

I'm curious as to suggestions & why you think...

High End

Intel CPU:
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Processor $339
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

vs.

AMD:
AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Processor Black Edition with Liquid Cooling Kit $289 ($269 on sale now)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113352

So $70 savings going AMD & get a 4.4GHz 8 Core CPU with Liquid Cooling, Haven't had time to really read reviews on this CPU but seems like it would be a great deal. But if the AMD is a dud CPU in gaming & what not then maybe Intel?

Mid Range:

Intel:
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Processor $239.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

vs.

AMD:
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Processor $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

or

AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Processor $109.99 ($99.99 sale)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

And these are the 2 boards I was looking at for them...

Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460

AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Thanks for suggestions & info & opinions welcome... :)

And sorry for my ramblings...lol

Last edited:
Currently games do not utilize hyper threading so the extra $100 for an i7 4770k is kind of pointless for gaming.

Not currently but could in near future? 3 yrs or less?
And is the Intel that much faster in games vs the 4.4Ghz AMD 8 Core? I know currently not many games make use of 8 cores but I'd assuming it's coming soon?

Not currently but could in near future? 3 yrs or less?
And is the Intel that much faster in games vs the 4.4Ghz AMD 8 Core? I know currently not many games make use of 8 cores but I'd assuming it's coming soon?

It's hard to divide a game into 8 parts and have a performance increase.

Game makers really don't have incentive to have games use hyper treading. The bulk of the money is in console gaming, and pcs. Unfortunately, pc gamers are in the minority. The game developers, just like any other business will go where the money is.

Actually PC gamers are the minority IMO. Have you looked at steam's and origin's sales figures recently? Console's are also more expensive than PC's so gamers (least the ones I know of) tend to stick with PC gaming. Case in point PC games are $59.99 on release and Console games are $79.99 on release. For the same game! Main reason many have steered away from massively overpriced, underhardwared, garbage consoles. Plus, when's the last time you could overclock a console? Never?

As for games using hyperthreading in the near future, nobody can answer that for sure but video game developers and unless they have a future project going on that does utilize it, they can't answer it either. But I don't think they will. There isn't a single game that is currently out or one that has been announced with an anticipated release in the next 2 years that has been announced utilizing this. So, I think it's safe to assume no and as a 100% PC gamer I think the i5 would be a better choice as well. Unless you have money to sink into the i7 4930k + mobo. If you don't, go with the i5 4670k.

Last edited:
I understand we as pc gamers are in the minority but that could possibly change in feature. As I have read & unstand it consoles are becoming more closely resembling pcs for their insides. Which stands to reason should allow for console & pc games to be made more closely together, would it not? So game makers with new xbox one & ps4 may have earier time & possibly use similar methods for both possibly cutting costs of production?

Anyhow how is the z87 board I linked?

I was referring to mimarts post in that statement about video game designers going where the money is. The money is probably in both places equally but PC gaming is still going strong which is why many games that matter now are on the PC as well.

The exception being gta V but it is eventually seeing a PC release.

Anyway, your motherboard question. Your motherboard is fine for your needs. If you plan on doing massive overclocking I'd go with a ASUS Maximus V hero or gene, or if you can afford it, formula.

I was referring to mimarts post in that statement about video game designers going where the money is. The money is probably in both places equally but PC gaming is still going strong which is why many games that matter now are on the PC as well.

The exception being gta V but it is eventually seeing a PC release.

Anyway, your motherboard question. Your motherboard is fine for your needs. If you plan on doing massive overclocking I'd go with a ASUS Maximus V hero or gene, or if you can afford it, formula.

I probably won't do any massive overclocking...

Back