• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my computer could use some advice !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwH

:bang head

o.k. here is the deal, I’m in need of upgrading my computer. I’m on a very limited budget so I have limitations on what I can do. Below is my current set-up (it’s embarrassing, I know) and
so I am looking at either:
Upgrade thoughts: :confused:

As far as the Budget goes: I would like to stay under $300 for the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX-550 Ti 1Gb DDR5
Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb 7200 HDD
Crucial 4Gb DDR2 RAM
ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X
RAM Upgrade;
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
I haven’t looked at the motherboard options for the Intel. Any feedback and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

TwH

<<< EDIT >>>

The PSU, DVD R/W, HDD, Video Card will all carry over to the new build.
I mostly use my computer for:

1.) Autodesk 2013 Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate
2.) Photoshop
3.) Cakewald Sonar X1
4.) Sony Vegas
5.) Corel Video Studio Pro X5
5.) Some gaming ie: Crysis, BF2, LFD 2....

Usage is in that order.

I am running this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

:thup:

Attachments

• Computer Set-Up1.jpg
    Computer Set-Up1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It would be most helpful to list your budget, and how you use the PC. Are there any parts moving over to the new PC (doesnt look like from the age)?

$300 wow.. thats AMD land I think...

Not sure if you have a Microcenter around you, but that will get you a 2500K for $160. Board for $135 (Asrock Z77 Extreme 4), and ram $25.

But thats over $300.

There is a problem with your method.. You have an AMD motherboard with 2 AMD CPU's listed (thats fine), then you list the 2500K (not fine), so I listed a motherboard that Intel CPU will work in...

EDIT: If you can afford the Intel, get it. The 2550k beats out the quad easily and outside of heavily threaded applications, beats the Hex too.

Last edited:
O.K. well, I'm hoping someone will actually read the post and answer the questions that I have asked.

Thanks,
TwH

Let me put it differently.

GET THE INTEL AND THE BOARD I LISTED. ITS THE BEST YOU CAN GET FOR WHAT YOU LISTED.

I hope I was more clear. Sorry for the vague posts earlier. :)

Just Ordered This

Below is what I finally decided on:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound

Total with 3-Day Shipping: $247.95 *
*(And I get a $10.00 Newegg Gift Card)

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS ENGTX550 Ti/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

<<Running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate>>

Back