• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading...Should I keep my 965BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amddork

Registered
Next payday, I will be buying the Asus Crosshair V 990FX board, 16gb of RAM and a SSD(Most likely a new Samsung 830). I love my 965, it's been a hard worker, working 6 days a week for the year and a half I've had it. My question is, is the bulldozer really worth the upgrade, of all the games I play atm 2 cores is the max supported. I'm not trying to be cheap here, I just go by the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." motto. The board I have to get, because I bought a 7870 and it's definitely not using it's full potential. As for the RAM, my current is not compatible with the board. Well thank you in advance for your comments.

Welcome amddork,

What do you use the PC for?
Are you planning on Overclocking it?

Please put the specifics of your system in your signature, including your case, heatsink etc. It will help us help you more. :)

Looking at the build I have a few questions, looking to save you some money. Do you really need 16g of ram? 8g is plenty for the average user. The motherboard is a really nice board, though it is also total overkill for the average user.

Most games are more dependent on the GPU, you may get a couple of FPS more with a FX processor, depending on which one, but I doubt you would notice the difference. The 7870, is a really nice GPU and from what I have read a pretty good overclocker, if you want to go that route.

You don't need a ROG board, there are plenty of cheaper 990FX boards that would suit your purpose.

Bulldozer isn't going to be much of an upgrade, either wait for Piledriver or go Intel.

You don't need a ROG board, there are plenty of cheaper 990FX boards that would suit your purpose.

Bulldozer isn't going to be much of an upgrade, either wait for Piledriver or go Intel.

+1. Unless your going to be playing with LN2 or some such thing you could definitely go cheaper on the board. Also I agree that 16GB is overkill.

Keep your 965 as Bulldozer is fail (as much as it hurts my AMD fan boy heart).

The money you save on the board, CPU and RAM could easily be put towards another SSD for some RAID 0 goodness or a standard drive for extra storage.

Wow, first off, thanks guys for the prompt replies. I will update my stats soon, promise. I've only been a member for like 10 hours lol.

Anyways, here's my current set up.

AMD Phenom 2 965BE
Gigabyte 760G Chipset Mobo
4gb G. Skills Sniper 1033
Asus 7870 ghz edition 2gb DDR5
2x WD Caviar Black in RAID 0
I do amatuer rendering and editing, that is what the 16gb of ram is for and I do a lot while playing my games too. Multitasking for the win lol.
I will be overclocking a lot more once I finish my cooling project, but for now I do just what I can on air.
Yes I can get a cheaper board but I'm think a bit about forward capability and longevity, also probably a second 7870, and not saying that money isn't a object but I got some leg room, if you know what I mean.
I will probably wait for the Piledriver, and once I buy it, my poor 965 is going to be put through the paces lol.

If you got leg room, I'd just save a bit more and grab a Ivy Bridge setup. All 990FX boards will have the same longevity, and any decent motherboard is fine for a 24/7 overclock. If what you do is heavily multithreaded, go Bulldozer.

Last edited:
What software you do your rendering with? I assume you mean AV rendering and editing. There's a good freeware rendering program out there called Handbrake which is well multi-threaded so that it makes good use of many cores, the strength of the newer AMD CPUs.

+1 Mr. Trents,

if your software is not multithreaded stay with your 965, and avoid the heat battle.
if you are multi threaded hop right in with bd.

+1 knufire,
if your not pushing the cpu at highclocks for days on end like i was you only need a mid range board like the asus sabertooth or the asrok extreme 4 as examples and save a little budget.

I was pushing my fx8120 cpus at full load 24/7 to the point that if you tried to open a web browser it would take an hour to open and the sabertooth was up to it with proper cooling and proper clocking and the crosshairv just a little better.
I now lease space on a commercial system to run those programs and have disposed of my 4 fx8120 cpus and will go to all 955be cpus.

Well, I ended up going to Intel all in all I dropped about $1400 and love it, course I'm going to have to change my name now lol.

Back