• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upload issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nzaneb

Anyone else encountering upload issues? I've got hundreds of WU's that need uploaded, but can't seem to connect with the upload server. Just wondering if it's wide spread, or if I need to Reset my projects. Each of my 3 rigs has the problem, so I'm hoping it's widespread, and that it's rectified soon.

Regarding the science database issues over the past couple of months, let me recap: this is the informix/science database, not the mysql/user database. We noticed that one of the tables in astropulse got corrupted. No big deal - we lost a couple rows out of 80 million. In the process of fixing this we noticed that the astropulse portion of the database hasn't been replicated properly to the secondary informix/science database. So this whole project was to fix two things: the corrupted table, and the broken replication. Ultimately we learned a lot along the way cleaning this up ourselves, but each iteration has been sloooow, and a lot of time was lost trying certain things which seemed obvious, but didn't work like we expected. We're nearing the final stages of this (we hope). One silver lining is that we'll get to test recovery of the secondary from our weekly database backup - these backups are 1.2 terabytes in size at this point, so we don't test this procedure often.

So.. there's been upload issues starting yesterday. Not sure why, maybe we were just being blitzed more than normal. We tweaked our configuration around this morning so that the scheduling server is now also handling 25% of the upload load. Maybe that'll help push the clog through.

In worse news, our server closet temperature shot up way too high this weekend. Machines were running 10 degree (Celsius) hotter than normal, and well beyond spec and in some cases the "danger zone." This isn't good. We're hoping somebody on campus will come up today and inspect our a/c system, but given it's the holidays we might not get anybody until the new year, in which case... we'll have to shut everything down for a while. We shall see.

- Matt

Well it seems to have cleared up now, I saw the problem threads after I posted here. The only thing that sucks is that the back up halted the output on my main cruncher. Thus slowing the RAC climb :mad: That rig should be pushing into the Top 10-15 here soon!

On another note: anyone know how to cut down on the "Reconnecting to Client" messages that temporarily disable all interaction with the control panel?

Well it seems to have cleared up now, I saw the problem threads after I posted here. The only thing that sucks is that the back up halted the output on my main cruncher. Thus slowing the RAC climb :mad: That rig should be pushing into the Top 10-15 here soon!

On another note: anyone know how to cut down on the "Reconnecting to Client" messages that temporarily disable all interaction with the control panel?

Umm.. depends whats causing it. For me, on a single core CPU, having more than ~1100 WU in my cache causes the reconnecting to client all the time, unless I use the feature in 6.10.x "Show only active tasks" which reduces it substantially.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's related to CPU usage in boinc.exe (as thats what the client is, boincmgr just displays the output from boinc.exe)

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!

I misquoted the prompt, but I think we're talking about the same pop-up that says "Communicating with Boinc client. Please wait" with the option to "Exit Boinc Manager" or "Cancel"
I've tried the "Show active tasks" trick, but it doesn't seem to help. The only time that mine hangs is when I have a large amount of WU's trying to upload/download.

I don't think I've ever seen that ... *weird*

I'll screenie it for you, wouldn't want you to feel left out :D

I have one box that does the same thing. No matter which tab I select I get a popup and idle period while boinc communicates with the client.

That is exactly what ALL of my rigs do. I'm guessing it's GPU crunching related :shrug: In the upload issue case, that same prompt stays up for 2 or 3 minutes, recovers for 5 seconds, then pops up again... VERY annoying to say the least

Edit: Here you go QI

Attachments

• Com.jpg
    Com.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I misquoted the prompt, but I think we're talking about the same pop-up that says "Communicating with Boinc client. Please wait" with the option to "Exit Boinc Manager" or "Cancel"
I've tried the "Show active tasks" trick, but it doesn't seem to help. The only time that mine hangs is when I have a large amount of WU's trying to upload/download.

I was getting this a lot over the past two weeks. I thought it was due to the large amount of work units the machine was handling; however, my hard drive has since corrupted then died. It leads me to believe that the hard drive was going and thus slowing everything done with seti due to the large amount of read/writes it was *trying* to conduct on the hard drive.

I also had more than the usual computational errors appear during this time with a message: "Can't open file." Again this I believe this to be the hard drive starting to go or being heavily fragmented.

Just an FYI to keep an eye out for this.

Oddly enough I've recently noticed this as a pop-up from the taskbar on my Vista system - and only on the Vista system. All my other rigs are running XP so maybe it's the OS ...?? :shrug:

Back