• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ups strikes again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
sooooo....
i get my 21" true flat sun/sony crt.
i see it on the truck and help the driver carry it in,heavy 80lbs.
and i said to him "box looks kinda banged around" anyhow we carry it in.
he takes off.

i open it up and its packed rather well,but i can tell by how flexible the box is now that its been threw hell.
anyhow it was dropped a minamum of 3 times.
top right hand corner stress cracked.gashed and cracked.
top left corner pushed in.
left side bottom smashed,cracked and gashes.

amazinly the crt works fine.
and yes it was insured. $200 as thats what i paid. both me and the seller from here are happy we did this. i always do on anything over $100.

i contacted the seller and he was shocked and upset same as me.he will be working with me to get this resolved.
i contacted ups about it,gave all the info.
they wanted the $200 insured amount and the replacement cost,wich i guessed $600. it would look new had it not been thrashed by them.

anyhow they appoligized many times over the phone.i was nice and respectfull as i dont think blowing my lid helps anything.
anyhow since of the weight they are gonna send a rep to my house and inspect the box and crt.
then get back with the shipper and settle it with him since he bought the insurance.

anyone done this before? what should i expect to happen?
of course a new crt would be great but im not hopeing for that. just pay to fix it or pay me to own a damnaged crt is all i want.

i Fing hate ups,but we had no choice as noone else will ship something so heavy.
anyhow ill keep you posted as stuff happens.
ill post pics soon also.

Hi,
My father and brother both work for UPS. My father is a driver, and my brother is a loader. I recieve packages with the **** kicked out of them all the time. The reason probably is, the loaders and unloaders are pushed to do 1200+ packages per hour. My brother mentioned something about a Dell truck and packages from that being tossed, litterally tossed from the truck.

They probably won't send a rep, basically on all items over $50 they come back and pick up the package.. They will just take the monitor away and do a payout on it...

Usually takes a couple weeks to get the check, they will send the check and claim paperwork to the person who sent/insured the package.

sad they treat customers like that.

i was told over the phone they will be calling to set up an appointment to visit and inspect the crt.
i dont want the money,unless i keep the crt. i cant replace it for $200.

if they want to buy me a new crt then its another ball game.
id settle just to be compenated for the damnage myself.

The only way I know they will let you keep it is if the claim states it is repairable and then they will only pay the repair cost.. Its unlikely they will refund the $200 and let you keep the monitor... Shipper should have insured it for its replacement value of $600 (insurance only costs 35cents/$100)

Any claims that I have they pick up and I never see the item again.

deathstar13 said:
sad they treat customers like that.

i was told over the phone they will be calling to set up an appointment to visit and inspect the crt.
i dont want the money,unless i keep the crt. i cant replace it for $200.

if they want to buy me a new crt then its another ball game.
id settle just to be compenated for the damnage myself.

If they do this, I have an awesome idea for a new monitor case I've been wanting to try. Assuming the CRT still works fine, of course.

PM me if you want it.

they arent taking the crt and giving me $200, i cant replace it for that.
i dont see how its repairable tho. never heard of buying crt cases,but who knows?

i dont want $200 and keep it either.just pay for the damnage is what i want.
yes insurance is cheap but i didnt pay for it.

yeh SM001 ill throw ya a pm. it dont looks like frankenstien to bad. just looks like it lives on the rough side of town :)

i talked to ups CS rep again today.
they wanted to come pick up the crt. i said NO!

im not taking $200 insurance money back in exchange for it.
so anyhow they are doing an onsite inspection friday at my house.

to me either replace it with a comperable crt or pay for the damanages to this one.
i doubt they will replace it as thats alot more than $200 it was insured for.
and isnt no way in hell i could replace it for $200 either.

so im just gonna push for paying for the damages.

Won't make you feel any better but i've had UPS kill a lot of stuff over the years. The recent in memory was a $1000.00 speaker that needed repair while being sent out for an upgrade.

There is only one thing that will fix the "problems" at UPS

COMPETITION.

bizhar said:
Won't make you feel any better but i've had UPS kill a lot of stuff over the years. The recent in memory was a $1000.00 speaker that needed repair while being sent out for an upgrade.

There is only one thing that will fix the "problems" at UPS

COMPETITION.
ups has the worst rep in the shipping industry.
i just hope they fix or pay for these damages.

I had a 17" crt shipped by ups awhile back, and when it arrived, guess what? The box was ripped, torn and mangled, and the monitor didn't work. UPS said they would send someone out, but that never happened. I haven't used them since.

matttaylor said:
I had a 17" crt shipped by ups awhile back, and when it arrived, guess what? The box was ripped, torn and mangled, and the monitor didn't work. UPS said they would send someone out, but that never happened. I haven't used them since.
they will be here friday or ill be camped out in my yard under an umbrella drinking beer and throwing bottles at ups trucks as they pass by.

trust me i will here back from ups.

drs499m said:
Hi,
My father and brother both work for UPS. My father is a driver, and my brother is a loader. I recieve packages with the **** kicked out of them all the time. The reason probably is, the loaders and unloaders are pushed to do 1200+ packages per hour. My brother mentioned something about a Dell truck and packages from that being tossed, litterally tossed from the truck.

I can back this up as I'm a loader as well. No matter how bad the box was if the item inside worked fine and wasn't damaged then there is nothing you can do.

Also it was insured for $200.00 and you want more? Seems unreasonable to me. I hope it all works out but I doubt it as I've tried to get insurance money from USPS and UPS before.

deathstar13, yes, I did have the item insured, and had to go through all the BS of getting a check from them.

You know, even though they trash the crap out of stuff we are pretty spoiled.
If you look at the level of service you get for the price its not all that bad. "We", myself included have a "I want it now, and I want it in the condition it was when it was packed" expectations. That is difficult to meet day in and day out.
I repeat myself,
COMPETITION.

wannaoc said:
I can back this up as I'm a loader as well. No matter how bad the box was if the item inside worked fine and wasn't damaged then there is nothing you can do.

Also it was insured for $200.00 and you want more? Seems unreasonable to me. I hope it all works out but I doubt it as I've tried to get insurance money from USPS and UPS before.
i dont want more, i said it would be nice to get it replaced with a new one.but that isnt resonable imo either.

they wanted to most likley take the crt and give me the $200 which i dont want to do. even busted its worth more than that to me.
id be happy just to get a bit of compenstion for the damages is what im saying.

the crt is worth considerably less now thanks to them. i figure $100 worth of damnages myself.

i dont understand people thinking im gonna try and take advantage of this situation.
if something is offered and its above my expectations im not gonna turn it down.but saying that i dont expect a new 21"crt.

remember they busted the casing on a almost new $339-$400 21" crt!
i fugure im out $50-$100 imho

deathstar13 said:
they will be here friday or ill be camped out in my yard under an umbrella drinking beer and throwing bottles at ups trucks as they pass by.

trust me i will here back from ups.

thats the spirit, but beer bottles are light...grab some Jack Daneils and start tossing those bottles...then you can do $200 damage to the truck and tell them don't worry...its insured, lol :attn:

^^ ahahahahahah

LOLOLO

ahh man that is too funny!!

see i dont think we expect to much for 2 little - UPS set their prices for shipping - iof they are too cheap - raise them - just because their prices may be low does not give them the right to trash things

ANY product someone orders and ships with UPS should arrive @ your door step in the same condition UPS received it from the shipper.

If you buy a video card from a compnay that is selling it $50 cheaper then another company - is it okay if that video card sometimes works and sometimes doesnt?

hooah said:
thats the spirit, but beer bottles are light...grab some Jack Daneils and start tossing those bottles...then you can do $200 damage to the truck and tell them don't worry...its insured, lol :attn:
hehe,dude we should get together and party sometime! i like your way of thinking :)
but hopefully it never goes to anything like that.

see i dont think we expect to much for 2 little - UPS set their prices for shipping - iof they are too cheap - raise them - just because their prices may be low does not give them the right to trash things.ANY product someone orders and ships with UPS should arrive @ your door step in the same condition UPS received it from the shipper.

If you buy a video card from a compnay that is selling it $50 cheaper then another company - is it okay if that video card sometimes works and sometimes doesnt?
i fully agree with you on this!
i avoid ups as much as possible.but sometimes you have to use them.
but saying the product should arrive in the same condition is my point of the thread. this was a barely user crt and looked new except for the smashed parts.they greatly depreciated the value of my crt with their carelessness.

if i was to sell this in the classifieds here just how much do you think id have to knock off the selling price due to this damage is how i look at what they should pay me for the damages.

I feel for you deathstar, but at the same time if it's worth more, then you should have insured it for more. To expect millions of packages to be shipped and never lose or damage a single one in unrealistic (that is the chance one takes with out insurance and why they give it to you free up to $100). Also there is also a real good reason for them to ask for the original part back. Just think about it; all someone would have to do is send a box with a rock add $200 worth of insurance to it, then say there $500 vase was broken, and collect the money. The bottom line is if you want to send something via UPS or any other carrier you need to pay the full price for shipping, and that includes the "Insurance" for the "Full Value" of the item. Sorry if I seem harsh about this but it is as fair as you make it. If the UPS guy(s) where playing kick ball with your package I would agree with you guys but I doubt that as I also have a friend who worked for them and now while they are ruff with the boxes it's what must be done to get it from one place to another "economically and efficiently".

Last edited:
Stedeman said:
I feel for you deathstar, but at the same time if it's worth more, then you should have insured it for more. To expect millions of packages to be shipped and never lose or damage a single one in unrealistic (that is the chance one takes with out insurance and why they give it to you free up to $100). Also there is also a real good reason for them to ask for the original part back. Just think about it; all someone would have to do is send a box with a rock add $200 worth of insurance to it, then say there $500 vase was broken, and collect the money. The bottom line is if you want to send something via UPS or any other carrier you need to pay the full price for shipping, and that includes the "Insurance" for the "Full Value" of the item. Sorry if I seem harsh about this but it is as fair as you make it. If the UPS guy(s) where playing kick ball with your package I would agree with you guys but I doubt that as I also have a friend who worked for them and now while they are ruff with the boxes it's what must be done to get it from one place to another "economically and efficiently".
not harsh and i agree on everything said.
i didnt insure the package the seller did,thats why i didnt have the choice.
i know why they want the crt themselves also to verify the part and damage.
but my point is its worth more than the $200 it was insured for,so im not just giving them the crt.they can pay for the damages done to it.

the ups CS inspector will be here today at my house to see the damage and the box it was shipped in.
and hopefully ill get off my rig and work on my bros and fix his software so i can post the pics i took.
as ive stated i dont expect/want the $200 back and keep the crt.even tho that might be a fair trade off.
i just expect $50-$100 paid back in damages from ups.
i do know the shipping cost was at least $40-$50 so isnt like they will be out big money either.

Back