• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using TV as monitor...quality issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
Alright, I am using my 45" panasonic widescreen TV as my monitor for the time being. It has a PC monitor hookup on the front of the TV, so I know it is supposed to do this, it works fine, but when I am running at optimal resolution, it looks like crap. there are horizontal lines (kind of) that are blotching the text/images out. If i could take a screen shot of this, then i would :bang head but i cant. The resolution is 1280x720 @ 60hz. the TV is the panasonic PT-45LC12. it is 1080i (not sure if that matters for computer use).

anyway.

is there anyway i can fix this? i really wish there was a way i could get a good picture of the problem..but i really cant

horizontal lines in meaning like every other line? are you talking about interlaced? hooking up your computer to a interlaced tv makes it very hard to read text.

If you can try to change to 720p if possible, that should make it look much better

I do not know how i can change that though. it is not every other line. it is like 50 lines of good, then it fades to blotched out, then 50 lines of good, then blotched.

If the TV is 1080i, then it should be able to go to 720p, 480i, ect. Should be in the TV menu. Its possible that the computer resolution or refresh rate is to high or to low for the TV. I would mess with the res. on the TV to see if you can find a match.

Everywhere I have looked, including the manual that came with the TV said that the native resolution is 1280x720 @60hz, which is what i was running.

i found the option for 480i in the menus, but i didnt have the option of changing it

Guy's, his monitor can't be 1080i. It's an LCD projector, and I don't know of any interlaced LCD displays, do you ;)

I bet the native resolution is 720p, but I also don't get why it wont display it properly.

Phil, try getting powerstrip.

Also, just because a CRT tv can display 1080i natively does not mean it can display 720p natively. 1080 lines multiplied by 30 each is 32400 per second. 720 lines multiplied by 60 each is 43200 per second. A tv that can do 720p natively, can do 1080i natively though.

Back