• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VDimm mod needed ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bpowder

Registered
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing alot of research here for the system I just built and would like to thank everyone for the help they have already given me.

Current system
2.4 C m0 @ 3.2
Geil 4200 ultra plat 1GB @ 270 1:1
Asus p4c800-e
550W Turbo case PSU
36 GB 10K sata drive
9800 pro
Custom Water setup

It runs 270 1:1 great. 25c Max after hours of prime95 heat test in the asus probe software.

If i divide my ram to 5:4 I can get it to run stable at 275-280 with 1.85V and 2.5 3 3 7 8 but no higher. Someone on extreme overclocking said in a post that was the highest they could get without a vmodd. Do you think that if I did this modd I could up to around 300 fsb with the 5:4 divider or do i need to get different ram like mush lvl 2 black?
Also I will post pics of system a little later tonight.
Thanks for your help

I believe the voltmod will benefit any system that uses Ram with BH-5 chips...because they are power hungry. So you should find out what type of ram chips you have in your Geil 4200 (sorry I don't know).

And..... Welcome to the forum!!

There is a volt mod for the P4C800 over in the Intel motherboards section. Its a sticky at the top of the page by AZN.

bpowder said:
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing alot of research here for the system I just built and would like to thank everyone for the help they have already given me.

Current system
2.4 C m0 @ 3.2
Geil 4200 ultra plat 1GB @ 270 1:1
Asus p4c800-e
550W Turbo case PSU
36 GB 10K sata drive
9800 pro
Custom Water setup

It runs 270 1:1 great. 25c Max after hours of prime95 heat test in the asus probe software.

If i divide my ram to 5:4 I can get it to run stable at 275-280 with 1.85V and 2.5 3 3 7 8 but no higher. Someone on extreme overclocking said in a post that was the highest they could get without a vmodd. Do you think that if I did this modd I could up to around 300 fsb with the 5:4 divider or do i need to get different ram like mush lvl 2 black?
Also I will post pics of system a little later tonight.
Thanks for your help

I needed 3.1volts to get my geil up to 295fsb 1:1, if that cheers you up. IC7 modded, and it will do that on a AI7 unmodded.

Thanks that cheers me up a bunch! One more question though. If you get an adjustable psu do you still need to perform the volt mod or can u make the adjustment to the psu?

geil 4200 is NOT bh5, esp if your running 270fsb 1:1!!
if you want to see if its your ram holding you back, clock your ram 3:2 and crank your fsb to 290 or so, if you can run stable you need better ram

as for the vdimm mod, you will surely need it to really get the most from BH-5 ram...I just did the mod on my P4C800-E and it wasn't that hard and I am pretty bad at soldering!!:p

just follow the great guides by AZN and others here on the forums to show you how.

Last edited:
No, you can adjust your power supply, and will probably want/have to. It's derived directly from your 3.3V line, so it is necesary that your 3.3V line be higher than the Vdimm.

But, I'd say you could get 3.1-3.2V on your vdimm if your 3.3Vline is at 3.3V.

It's possible to get FSB that high@ 1:1?? That's must be some major bandwidth. Am I correct that P4s aren't really affected by the loose timings? I can only imagine what a 300mhz 1:1 fsb is like.

Has anyone done any benchmarks comparing for example:

280mhz 1:1 ratio at loose timings compared with BH5 with 5:4 ratio also at 280mhz fsb (ram at 224mhz)

Would memory bandwidth win over low latency?

And is this the Geil you're using? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...144-519&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Yup thats the stuff

Tedinde said he had the same stuff at 295 1:1. I just felt my ram after about 6 hours of pretty hard gamming and the heat spreaders were hot. Not to hot that I couldnt hold my finger on it but alot more than just warm. I might try and figure out a way to get a fan on the chips or something.

Back