• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very slow connection, lag issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarlD

ok, here's my issue, for the last couple weeks i've had some really weird issues, kinda started out of the blue. i've been having really slow connection speeds while plugged into a router. I've got 4 computers in my home, 2 wired 2 wireless. my main computer is the one in my sig and one of the wired computers. When i'm connected straight into the modem i have no issues what so ever, i have a Netgear WGR614 v6 from Comcast, I went out and bought first a Belkin G (the cheap one from walmart) continued to have the same issues, so i returned it, and got a Belkin N150 F6D4230-4 v3. well I continue to have the same issues and i'm about ready to return it as well. i've used the disk with both blekins to setup the networks, used the web access to configure everything, but for some reason i still continue the same issues. 3 different routers all have the same issues. but idk what it is. it's like they are being throttled at the router, i have set the router to act as an access point only and that fixed it but i can't use it that way as i need the wireless acess for the other 2 computers. this whole issue is starting to frustrate me as i can't seem to figure out whats going on. Belkin's support and Comcast haven't been much help.

Also i've used different cable combonation, comcast replaced my Aris modem with and RCA one, they aren't seeing any issues. it's something in the router. Thought it might be the nic card on my main comp but i tried on my other wired comp and had the same issues

:shrug::shrug::shrug::cry::cry::cry::cry:

please help

For your wired side of the network from the computer to the router turn off the Autonegotiate and set the speed/duplex for 100MBPS/Full.

All small home/business routers such as DLink, Linksys, etc are hardwired to 100/full, anything else causes the packetts to drop this makes it seem like a slow connection when in reality the NIC's are renegotiating the connection every other packett.

HTH...

Seems that when I went from Cable to DSL the DSL modem had a setting for the down/up load speed and it was less than half of the 'bandwidth' advertised for the DSL which was 1.5 mega bit.

I had to go in to the modem and set the max down/up load speed in the advanced settings. That was a Qwest modem at the time. Qwest Tech Support wasn't any help at all, found out about the settings from a network guy at work.

Are all the settings for the modem at max?

Did you change the IP from the modem to the router? If you did, what about the gateway IP (which is the modem IP).

Thinking out loud because if you can connect to the modem and not have any problems then the router should be almost invisable to your side of the network.

When hardware is new then connectivity problems are normally speed/duplex or IP/Subnet mask/Gateway...

This isn't a Vista or a Win7 computer by any chance?

HTH...

my main rig is Win7 ultimate, one of the wireless is also win7 home, my laptop that is hardwired and one of the wireless is XP

the router IP is 198.168.1.1 and the subnet mask is 256.256.256.0 both are default settings

Back