• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video not working on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bad news. I got a new power supply, but it didn't fix the problem. I noticed that the monitor aknowledges being plugged into the computer, but states that it's sleeping.

Also, (I don't know if this problem is related, but) the power button does not turn off the computer when held. The buttons on the motherboard for power and reset don't work, either. Could this be pointing to a defective motherboard?

Okay. Not sure if I can RMA it, but I'll try. I've had it a while, waiting for other parts. We'll see (well, maybe not "we'll", probably just "I'll")

If you can't, then you can RMA to ASUS, has a 3 year warranty.

This is a dumb question, do you have the 24 pin connector and the 8 pin connector plugged into the mohterboard?

Also did you get the internal speaker?

Last edited:
Do you know for a fact that this video card works in other systems? If you have another computer available, install your video card there to rule out that as the problem.

As far as the PC speaker, My Asus Maximus came with a tiny speaker to plug in, double check your box your Motherboard came in. Also did you try your card in the other PCIe slot? And as Wingman pointed out (although by now I'd imagine you checked all the connectors) Make sure both the 26 pin and the 8 pin connector are properly seated. It doesn't hurt to pull them off and reinstall them just to be sure.

So far as the power and reset buttons go. Are you using the Asus Quick Connect connector that came with the Motherboard? It is labeled. Double check you have everything properly installed.

Exhausting these steps, I would point to a bad motherboard. In my experience Asus are in their RMA and Tech support pretty ignorant, so be patient and RMA. Expect a few weeks though. :( Good luck.

Okay, I am officially a noob. This is unbelievable. Thank you for the dumb question. The eight pin connector was not plugged in. Well, I'll just cancel that RMA.

IT WORKS!! THIS IS SO TOTALLY AWESOME!! This is my first real desktop computer ever. Thanks a Bunch!

I just feel bad I didn't tell you to recheck your connectors first. Would have saved you the cost of a power supply.

Congratulations!

On the bright side, now you have a back up power supply for testing you and your friends computers!

Me to, sorry I did not ask that it in the first post that I did. It's a good thing I asked a dumb Question.:)

Last edited:
Glad to see it's working, As far as the PSU, Really, It was money well spent. We all hate to spend money when not necessary, That said, You were living on the edge with the old PSU in regard to power necessary to run your rig and quality needed to keep from having a really bad experience. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing IMO.

I agree. I'm still glad I got the PSU. Plus, it looks way cooler! :) I'm typing this from my new Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2 machine, with a gigantic screen.

I guess I should have checked the manual in the PSU.

Back