• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista vs Win XP pro CPU Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allygash

Hi guys weird one,

My vista temps in Intel TAT, coretemp, speedfan & everest 4.0 etc are all 3-5c higher than in winxp pro? Ne1 else seen this?

So which one is correct? Ambient 30c, cpu 41(vista) 36(xp), yet the GPU & mobo are the same temp in either OS. Recently reinstalled both OS's & same thing happens.

Cheers

Also what is a normal delta between ambient(room temp, 30c here in Singapore) & CPU temp, & between IDLE & LOAD temps many thx in advance....

Sys: e6700 o/c to 3000mhz, EVGA680i AR, Thermalright ultra120/hr05+Fan(NB)/hr03plus(vga), Kingston hyper x 2gb(6400), Raptor 74 & 150, 3 other HD's, 8800gtx, X-fi fatality, Antec 900 with silvestone 850w PSU.

Allygash said:
Hi guys weird one,

My vista temps in Intel TAT, coretemp, speedfan & everest 4.0 etc are all 3-5c higher than in winxp pro? Ne1 else seen this?

So which one is correct? Ambient 30c, cpu 41(vista) 36(xp), yet the GPU & mobo are the same temp in either OS. Recently reinstalled both OS's & same thing happens.

Cheers

Also what is a normal delta between ambient(room temp, 30c here in Singapore) & CPU temp, & between IDLE & LOAD temps many thx in advance....

Sys: e6700 o/c to 3000mhz, EVGA680i AR, Thermalright ultra120/hr05+Fan(NB)/hr03plus(vga), Kingston hyper x 2gb(6400), Raptor 74 & 150, 3 other HD's, 8800gtx, X-fi fatality, Antec 900 with silvestone 850w PSU.
im not surprised...since vista is a newer OS, its probably more stressful for the cpu? Although that is odd the gpu temps are the same, since the interface is full 3d (aero glass w/ e)

Since I haven't had any hands-on experience with Vista yet I'm just guessing, but I imagine it's because they have so much bloatware running in the background that it keeps more load on the processor, making it's idle temp (as in not doing anything actively) run higher than XP. I have a new laptop coming this week with Vista on it, so I guess i will be finding out for myself.

muddocktor said:
Since I haven't had any hands-on experience with Vista yet I'm just guessing, but I imagine it's because they have so much bloatware running in the background that it keeps more load on the processor, making it's idle temp (as in not doing anything actively) run higher than XP. I have a new laptop coming this week with Vista on it, so I guess i will be finding out for myself.
My dads rig has Vista on it and his CPU isn't used anymore than mine is at idle. (he has an E6600)

muddocktor said:

indexing and superfetch maybe? with personal experiences, I'm not impressed with vista, more annoyed with it. using it since RTM and using ultimate, its just not worth the performance hit to me. Also, I'm more happier and secure with xp :) UAC sucks currently, there needs to be a way to remember a app, or give some sort of credentials or something for it to work effectively. nobody wants to hit accept or deny for every thing you need to do on a application, i got annoyed with it very quickly

Back