• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage issues with E5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

I picked up an E5200 for fairly cheap, figured I'd pop it in my intel rig and see if it could do better than my wolfdale E6300 because of the higher multiplier.
First I stuck it in and reset the bios, booted up at stock 2.5ghz and auto voltage. Windows 7 installed drivers, reboot. Enter bios, wanted to see what I could get out of stock voltage. After a few trial and errors, about 3.4ghz maxxed out stock voltage of 1.23v. So I decide to increase voltage while leaving it at 3.4, bumped it right to 1.30v, prime95'd it, got an error and quickly my system totally shut down...no BSOD, nothing just shut down. I was like, ummm....OK. So I restart, take the clock down to 2.8ghz, same thing. Take clock back to stock 2.5ghz, shut down. Put voltage back to auto, all is well.
This CPU is used, and I talked to the PO and he said he didn't have any issues he was running 1.35v or something like that with 3.75ghz.

This is the intel rig thats listed in my sig, it has NO trouble at all running the E6300. I've clocked the E6300 as high as 3.9 stable at 1.425v.
So whatsup with this 5200? Any ideas?

Stock voltage, or Auto voltage? Auto often bumps up vcore as you overclock.
My e5200 takes a lot of volts to do anything over 3ghz.

I did a pin mod for my friends E5200 to 1.3375v with conductive ink and electrical tape into his ECS Geforce 7050 motherboard and it ran fine at 3.6ghz. In CPU-Z, the voltage is about 1.36v idle 1.32v full load and he use a coolermaster hyper tx3 cooler idle 29/30 full load 62/61c. Anything higher will cause problem. So I think it could be a vdrop problem during load. You can set 1.3v in BIOS, but as soon as you load the processor to 100%, then voltage drop down and that's why you are having problems? :confused: Is there an option in your BIOS allow you to enable load line calibration?

Stock voltage, or Auto voltage? Auto often bumps up vcore as you overclock.
My e5200 takes a lot of volts to do anything over 3ghz.

Auto, but voltage stayed the same.

Even at stock clock, more voltage is unstable.

I did a pin mod for my friends E5200 to 1.3375v with conductive ink and electrical tape into his ECS Geforce 7050 motherboard and it ran fine at 3.6ghz. In CPU-Z, the voltage is about 1.36v idle 1.32v full load and he use a coolermaster hyper tx3 cooler idle 29/30 full load 62/61c. Anything higher will cause problem. So I think it could be a vdrop problem during load. You can set 1.3v in BIOS, but as soon as you load the processor to 100%, then voltage drop down and that's why you are having problems? :confused: Is there an option in your BIOS allow you to enable load line calibration?

I tried skipping the 1.3's thinking it may be the problem, went to 1.425 and computer would not even boot. Had to reset Bios.

After a few trial and errors, about 3.4ghz maxxed out stock voltage of 1.23v.

How far can you overclock with stock voltage?

It was in the first post ^. Thats with voltage set to Auto, I don't actually know what ''stock'' voltage is, but like I said even bumping voltage to 1.25 resulted in unstable conditions.

So basically you were able to run prime95 without any problems at 1.23v I assume? As for the auto voltage goes, you said it's about 1.23v. So what happen if you manually set it to 1.23v in BIOS, does it still crash?

So basically you were able to run prime95 without any problems at 1.23v I assume? As for the auto voltage goes, you said it's about 1.23v. So what happen if you manually set it to 1.23v in BIOS, does it still crash?

Yes exactly, P95 stable with auto voltage at 1.23v up to 3.4ghz.

I will try that and post back later on.

Back