• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo3, what's "significantly" faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine only does 190/190, well, it will do 195/195 on really cold days but it doesn't take long for the white triangles to appear then.

It's down at 183 at the moment, need a new fan for it, I was using an ancient 486 fan, must be 8 years old now.

I'm kinda suspicious of the Kyro cards since I got a Power VR 2 card cheap for my wife's system, to find the damn thing slower than software rendering. Dunno what the $$ was on these when they were new, but I suspect you were better off upgrading your P133 to a P166MMX. There seems to be very few games around it works with too. Dunno if Kyro is gonna be in that boat. I thought it would be at least as good as a permedia 2 or something, or a voodoo 1. or AT LEAST one of those SiS cards. :)

I might do a head to head benchmark with an S3 Virge I found the other week just for laughs.

ASUS V7100PRO GeForce2 MX400 32MB $109.95
GeForce2 MX200 32MB $80
ATI Radeon 7000 - (oem) 64MB SDR TV Out $85.00

them prices are from my local computer store (in ontario canada)
AGP cards (anyways for gamers) will out perform much better then PCI.

I want to try and get the card from the same place I'm getting my other parts, and the price on those is pretty good. I think he's fairly okay on the gfx prices, but not the best, looking on pricewatch and converting the US $$ will always show better prices, but by the time I pay for the shipping and get taxed and fleeced, I could be paying more, besides having serious return probs with a faulty card, So this is the prices I can get for the various cards locally.

GF2 Ti 200 $147 Canadian
GF4 MX440 $175
Radeon 7500 $178

And just for comparison, and I REALLY can't afford these....
Cheapest GF3Ti $236
Radeon 8500 $288
I can barely afford $147, and either of the others is stretching some.

But I have been reading reviews, and it seems that the Gf4mx440 while based on the GF2 beats the 2Ti by a hair in most things, and has better quality output, and also should have better DVD support and a few added features over the GF2, meaning it might go noticably faster in some later games than the GF2. Also it seems that at 460 spec the 4MX is knocking on the door and in one or two cases beating 8500 performance. It would also seem that the 2Ti has a heatsink and fan on as stock and the 4MX doesn't need one. So that would suggest to me that I could get more overclocking out of a 4MX than the 2Ti.

So, am I likely to be able to get a 4MX440 to 460 spec easily? And what about past that?

Also what is likely with a 2Ti? will it go much further? Do I have a better chance with the 4MX?

So please advise on what's likely and doable with the overclocking on the 2Ti and 4MX 440.

These prices are for Chaintech boards by the way, which happen to be the cheapest, but I'm getting a Chaintech mobo, so that might be a plus for compatibility.

thanks,

Road Warrior

although a geforce4mx MIGHT outperform a ti200, but i doubt it, nowhere near an 8500 and it doesnt have any dx8 features. id save 4 a dx8 card, itll at least play the latest games at good frame rates
-Malakai

Well the 400 and 420 are on the crappy side, the 440 looks half decent and the 460 can compete with the Radeon in some instances, at least it gets halfway between the 7500 and 8500, see the quake benches here...
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q1/020206/geforce4-12.html
And in 3d Mark 2001 the 460 is nearer the 3Ti200 than it is the 2Ti. In max payne it's about level with the 8500, but then so's the 2Ti.

So forget that four letter s word. Right now I can scrape enough for the Gf4MX, otherwise I'll probably putter along with the voodoo until tax refund time next year. So, again what overclocks best a GF4MX440 or a GF2Ti200?

Road Warrior

your missing the point though. doom 3 and unreal tourney 2 are comin out soon, and they are dx8 games. for the price of the best g4mx u can get a ti200
who cares if u get 150fps or 160? i suggest that u find out what programmable pixel and vertex shaders are, the graphics in games with these dx8 features are beautiful. all the new games soon are gonna be dx8, i highly suggert a gf3(gainward ti200's o/c like beasts)
-Malakai

Voodoo 5 AGP

How about a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP? Sounds like you're not unhappy with your V3, and the visual quality of a V5 with FSAA on is still pretty much unmatched. I like the card so much I paired one with my dual 1.9 ghz Athlon XP system, and it runs fine.

It looks to me like the real choices are either the GF4 MX440 $175
or Radeon 7500 $178

I think I would stay away from the benchmark tests at this point and start looking at the features of these individual cards. What version of DX they support (and is that going to be of use for you), and how they perform in your favorite games you actually spend time in.

I would also stay away from the whole "Driver" issue, because as far as I can tell, the two companies seem to have gotten to a point were there is not much difference in the driver quality of today. We all know the story is much different in the past and that may play a small part in your decision, but I wouldn't have that be a make or break for you.

Because I like the picture quality of a Radeon in general I am not a good person to give you any advice on which to choose without some sort of bias. I havn't seen a 440 in action and I don't want nor could I make a good judgement on picture quality without this.

As for the GF2, I think I would rather have the newer technologies (even though the 440 is kinda based off this there has still been some decent updates) then an older one that just does well in BM's. Besides I have seen the picture of those cards and was not that impressed for the most part. Sure they arn't that bad, but it's not the greatest either.

Other then those two cards, I think I would try to limp though another 3 to 6 months or so and then come back to the table and reasses what the Video Card market looks like.

heh, probably didn't help you all that much but maybe it will help you find out how you can make a final decission. I would be interested in hearing how you make out.

By the way... how do you spell "reasses"?

simple one, Radeon8500 Retail.. goto your local bestbuy ect. and pick one up for 140.00 or less..

Did I mention there's a $5 fine for mentioning anything over budget? :D
just hit my paypal :D

Ummm I started out wanting to spend $100 Canadian, (approx 75US) now when I think I could possibly push $180 (approx 120US) , by really scrimping people are telling me to spend 150US and that's not even all in, I get to pay another 30US for shipping etc, are there any decent Canadian surplus and bargain basement sites out there????

That's what I hate about Canada, half the time it seems people are too friggin' shy to name a price, about 75% of all computer stores online here mention what they've got in stock or can get but don't price it. I couldn't beleive the things I was seeing in the classifieds section of the local rag when I first got here, people are like paying $50 to place an ad to sell their car and they're not even putting a price on it. Half the ads in the thing are like that. Stupid! I wouldn't even phone if it was the exact model and year I was looking for if they don't mention some notion of what they want up front. Car's, furniture, computer bits, all the damn same up here.
Road Warrior

Thanks, funnyperson, that is sounding like a radeon 7000 or something though, can get ATI built ones of those new for less I think.

Just realised I had something of value that I might be able to use to get a decent card, trying to trade it direct first, to save me the hassle of selling it.

Magic the Gathering players and collectors, look here.....
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=614594&t=7866#post614594

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Thanks, funnyperson, that is sounding like a radeon 7000 or something though, can get ATI built ones of those new for less I think.

Just realised I had something of value that I might be able to use to get a decent card, trying to trade it direct first, to save me the hassle of selling it.

Magic the Gathering players and collectors, look here.....
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=614594&t=7866#post614594

Road Warrior

I think that card is actually a regular Radeon but I am sure you can ask him.

Also if I were you I wouldn't waste time trying to trade your card here and just go straight to Ebay. Sure it's a pain in the @zz but after it's done you will walk away with a lot more cash.

Just MHO.

actually that was a regular Radeon 64mb DDR and it isnt that much slower than a 7500 after ocing its faster than a Geforce2 Pro.....

I actually upgraded from a Voodoo3 2000 AGP running @180MHz to a Radeon 32DDR and I do have much faster framerates and the visual quality in games is better. A very inexpensive upgrade nowadays; and I can play Wolfenstein and Max Payne without any slowdowns.

Back