• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wait for R580 or go with x1800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

travenwatts

I just sold my alienware laptop so I can build a new desktop. I am have problems deciding what vid card to use.

My options:
1.) Hold off on building a new rig until R580 is out and use my old Barton 2600, 9700 pro rig.
2.) Build a new rig with x1800XT and hope r580 doesnt come out too soon and make me wish i had it.
3.) Build a new rig with an x800 series card.
4.) do something i haven't thought of

Please advise me.

r580 will be out in the "beginning of next year", so it depends how long you want to wait... with availability issues like there have been with the x1800's, that could mean you might not have much choice in cards until later in the first quarter.

I would say go with option 2 or 3 since you seem prompted to buy something judging from this thread, but you might want to wait until r580 is out as that will further slash prices on the x1800's, so then you can choose between the two.

I just bought an x800GTO2, and its a great time to sell those kinds of cards as their prices will certainly be dropping even further once r580 is out.

I think you should build your new rig and just pick up an x800pro for the time being. They are great cards and have awesome oc'ing capability. And plus you could pick one up pretty cheap and that way your not down ~$600 and can still game really well for the time being.

I would suggest option 3. You can find an x800pro for around $160 refurbished or used right now. Use that until the r580 comes out, and then you aren't losing too much money or gaming downtime.

Option two or three IMO, alot of people waited for ATi to release the R520 before building a rig and needless to say they waited a long time. Build the rig you were going to build anyways and throw in a very inexpensive card to hold you off in the mean time.

Yeah - if you can hold out on gaming ;a 30$USD PCI card could let you still get your CPU Oc setup and then you could have the rest waiting for the R580. In hindsight I wished I did that and maybe could've gotten a GTX for how cheap it is now- but my lil' x850xt does the job just fine anyway.

Build new system now around X1800 XL, when R580 hits sell that card and replace it with the fastest card ever produced, the 32 pipe totally dominating R580 ;)

Back