• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling System RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mountiedm

Howdy,
I'm in the middling of pondering the design of my next system. It will be watercooled. I've come across Angel Eye's AkwaFlo RAM cooling component. I'll be using Arctic Silver adhesive to mount the Akwaflo to the RAM (after i've removed the heatspreader of course). My question is: should I use silicone to protect the memory chip pins or is there a better solution? I'm worried I'll go overboard on the epoxy causing the pins to short out. Any feedback appreciated!

i'd like to be the first to suggest to you that you not purchase that. here are my reasons:
1. there's no point in watercooling ram. a little bit of airflow is usually plenty.
2. it's aluminum, when you have aluminum and copper in a loop it'll cause corrosion over time (can fight it by using additive but it still will.)
3. there's no mounting system, i'll be permanently fixed to your ram. if you upgrade and there's no room for the waterblock you're screwed, ram will hardly have any resell value.
4. with the tubing tugging on the barbs i doubt it's safe (and i'm someone who likes to do things dangerously)
5. waste of money!

I rejected the Angel Eye blocks because of the aluminum and because you can only use two sticks of RAM with them. Also, the RAM I wound up getting probably doesn't need that much cooling anyway.

Crimedog, what do you mean about the tubing tugging on the barbs? Neither the tubing nor the barbs should move once everything's installed, so I must be misunderstanding you.

when you route a watercooling loop there's almost always pressure being put on the barbs (and therefore the waterblock). i wouldn't want any pressure on my ram.

crimedog said:
when you route a watercooling loop there's almost always pressure being put on the barbs (and therefore the waterblock). i wouldn't want any pressure on my ram.
Oh, right, I see what you're saying now. I thought you were afraid of leaks. :rolleyes: I might watercool my RAM someday just for the sake of silence, and my plan for that has a bracket to hold everything in place relative to the motherboard, so I definitely agree with your point. As long as a low speed fan gets the job done, though, I'm keeping this plan in my file of crazy ideas that aren't worth the trouble. :)

Back