• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock and Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finken

I am about to buy a totally new system (I have made small upgrades and exchanged different components constantly and now I want a fresh system from the gound up) and have a question on the combination of a waterblock and peltier...

I will deffenitly be using watercooling, but I'm not entirely sure if I will be useing a peltier or not.

If I wouldn't use a peltier I would get a Innovacool waterblock, but now my question is: Can I use it in combination with a peltier?

The innovacool block will not work with a peltier because of the round base. It wouldn't cover the entire hot side and the peltier would not last long with so much of the hot side not being cooled.

If you are not absolutley sure what you are doing when using a peltier you are putting your whole system at risk. You should probably get the Innovacool block and pass on using peltiers for now.

Yes, that was what I was worried about...

Well, thanks for the confirmation!

Forget the Pelts. They are no longer have the favor of the
O/C gods. Too much trouble, too much cost, too little gain. :(

Really? =/

I expected to get a P4 (1,8GHz or so) to about 3000MHz with wathercooling, and maybe 3500 with a powerful peltier. (150-230W)
What do you think about those numbers?

If they would be at least somewhat realistic then I do think a peltier would be worth it...

Btw ..what if I would use a coldplate to spread the heat from the peltier to the innovacool ?

That should work right?

But then there would be another problem.. the flexibilty of the retentionmechanism of the innovacool. I don't think 2 coldplates + 1 peltier would fit under the waterblock =/

Finken, if you could get that much additional gain, then it
could be worth it.

Are those numbers realistic? Reasonable cost? Possible?

Heat spreading wont work in reverse i.e. heat contracting. :(

I like the InnovaTech just the way it is with an Eheim 1048.

If you want to mess with Pelts get the dangerden stuff
and watch your condensation.

The Innovatek block will not accomodate a pelt, as some one else posted. In addition to not covering the entire area of the pelt, you face 2 additional problems:
1. The mounting mechanism is designed so to fit the CPU tightly, which means there is no room to even slide in a pelt (you read it correct, NO room)
However, it is possible to modify the clamp (this involvings some sawing) so you can squeeze a pelt in there. But even so, you face the 2nd problem
2. No room for cold plate. The consensus is that the cold plate should be copper (or silver if you can find it) 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
There is no way in hell the Innovatek clamp (even modified) can accomdate this set up UNLESS you throw away their mounting mechanism entirely and make custom clamps.

That being said, I own an Innovatek system and love it, one of the things I really like is the clamping mechanism. It's alot better than the stuff from dangerden.com. But it is not designed to work with pelts. IMHO, you are much better off getting a MAZE waterblock than removing the Innovatek mounting mechanism and using custom clamps.

One last point, the Innovatek radiator does not dissipate enough heat for both the CPU and a PELT. It's small and compact, for internal mounting, but not for pelt+cpu cooling.

Good luck on whatever decision you make. Hope this helps.

Back