• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
G

gofstr54

ive been looking into this and if i were to water cool my cpu and gpu and northbridge and if i were to use the same tubing for each (i.e. water from one waterlbock to the other to the other) how much would it decrease my performance? any other ideas? maybe i could split the tubing from the pump into three lines? guess for that i would need a better pump tho... thanx for advice/suggestions.

If you connect them is series, your northbridge and GPU would get warm water as it has already passes thru your CPU, AND the flowrate in the whole setup will also be slower because of the cumulative head/pressure losses from the three waterblocks (ie. water requires more pumping pressure as turbulence from irregular flow paths sap energy).

If you connect them in parallel, ALL three aforementioned components will receive cool water form the start. Water flow will be slower (only in each pair of the parallel tubing) because of the three-ways split and not primarily from head loss (as head loss is proportional to flowrate squared, and the flowrate is already slower to begin with). This means the flow of water going thru your radiator or bong will still be faster than that of the series connection.

Go for the parallel connection.

And oh, welcome to the board! Do browse the back topics as some fellas may have already asked and answered questions to topics that might concern you...

gofstr54 (Jun 26, 2001 09:47 p.m.):
ive been looking into this and if i were to water cool my cpu and gpu and northbridge and if i were to use the same tubing for each (i.e. water from one waterlbock to the other to the other) how much would it decrease my performance? any other ideas? maybe i could split the tubing from the pump into three lines? guess for that i would need a better pump tho... thanx for advice/suggestions.

Water is so much more efficient than air, most people don't worry about the warmer water hitting the GPU and Mainboard chips. I'd hook them up in series and let it rip.

Back