• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling starter Kit???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wizard beat me to the punch. Lol. Without the diamond stamp it's just aluminum plate. I'd suggest getting it in its raw form. Dont use steel.

Without the diamond pattern its simply aluminum sheet stock.

Bwhahaha don't I feel like the fool. What purpose does it actually serve?( the pattern)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I would use it over a standard sheet of aluminium.

sorry for the nub questions, but I'm pretty new to this as you can probably tell!!

1: Diamond plate looks cool
2: The diamond pattern gives it more surface area

Having more surface area makes it a better passive heatsink. Components under the shield still produce heat even if only small amounts. You want to make sure you've got adequate means to dissipate it. All in all it doesnt matter which you use I was just making a suggestion.

hmmm fair play, nar just wanted to see what the reasoning being it was. i mean i doubt i will be using it to replace any of the current heatsinks for the north/south bridges etc, but just so there isnt loads of hot air getting trapped under it. I think the best route would be to probably mesh it/ maybe get some small low rpm fans to keep the air moving under the cover. Not sure how i would go about it just yet, but thats still all to come.

thanks for the suggestion though, ill deff keep it in mind. I doubt it will be horribly expensive for sheets of both so ill probs pic up both and just see what looks best :)

Hey guys bumping this thread just for a quick question. What should I buy in relation to water for my loop( just going clear distilled deionised

Hey guys bumping this thread just for a quick question. What should I buy in relation to water for my loop( just going clear distilled deionised water ) but I was wondering if I could get it off amazon uk ( as that's where I'm getting my kit from ) could someone point me in the right direction please :). I should be getting my kit this week so will make a build logg soon! Woot excited much? Yes I think so!

You can't get distilled easily in the UK. If you learn about distilled vs deionized vs reverse osmosis using WIKI and Google, you'll see there isn't a ton of difference between the three.

Battery water. From down the lane, not from the internet. You want to pay that much and shipping, your money. And yes, 3 liters at least. Your pump might be bad, so you have to drain it all and start over........

Mayhems is good stuff.

You can't get distilled easily in the UK. If you learn about distilled vs deionized vs reverse osmosis using WIKI and Google, you'll see there isn't a ton of difference between the three.

Battery water. From down the lane, not from the internet. You want to pay that much and shipping, your money. And yes, 3 liters at least. Your pump might be bad, so you have to drain it all and start over........

Mayhems is good stuff.

Okey well it seems like i should be able to get it from my local car shop ( halfords) Or there are other 5l bottle for next to nothing on amazon probs is the time to ship. The other issue is that the shop ( halfords) closes as i finish work. I might get my missus to pick up the bottle of the stuff during the day for me XD

ah just saw u put mayhems is good stuff :p sorry my bad

also http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_165335_langId_-1_categoryId_255205

much better under £4 for 5 L :D

Last edited:
There should be a ton of places over there that carry deionized water. It's to the UK like distilled is to the US. Yes we have both and so do you, but distilled is very expensive over there opposed to deionized. Just google deionized water in your area, it should yield a lot of results.

cool yer gona pick up 5L of the stuff ( the link i posted) also another question. compression fittings/barbs ( i get barbs with the kit but they look a bit wank to be honest.)

everybody complains compressions are expensive, but £3 for an Ek compression fitting really doesnt seem like much. i dont mind shelling out an extra £12 for nice looking fittings.

Last edited:
ok got some matt black EK compression fittings for the block and rad, ( gona keep the barbs on the rez/pump cos its hidden away) Everything is ordered! Should be here tomorrow. Will start a build log as soon!

Excitement is building! Ive been wanting to do this for around 6 years now!

Last edited:
It is a lot of fun to build that's for sure. Just take your time, go slow. What's the rush?? Just follow the old rule, measure twice cut once:D Make sure you get those fittings right but not to tight. Good luck and looking forward to a log.

Modz

Read my build log in the stickies. Take your time. It's a weekend of pleasure and relaxation, take breaks etc.

Start Friday night and be done Sunday, all bled, bubbles out. Monday after work it's install Wdoz etc for another day. Be thankfull it's not a job. Enjoy, touch the tubing, inspect it all, clean old fans with a brush, take the case to a compressor, claen it special. Feel blessed that you have the time and money to do such frivolous things.........

Read my build log in the stickies. Take your time. It's a weekend of pleasure and relaxation, take breaks etc.

Start Friday night and be done Sunday, all bled, bubbles out. Monday after work it's install Wdoz etc for another day. Be thankfull it's not a job. Enjoy, touch the tubing, inspect it all, clean old fans with a brush, take the case to a compressor, claen it special. Feel blessed that you have the time and money to do such frivolous things.........

Haha thanks guys. It's taken me 6 years to get to this point so trust me I will enjoy it :p. I am pretty dam busy this week/ weekend. I think I'm gona have to do it little by little and hopfully be done by Sunday / Monday.

Luckily my case is still dust free. I just got a new corsair 800d about a week ago. Hehe.

Hopfully going to be getting some strip lighting for my case too, ( freebies :p)

Back