• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 2x1 GIG best for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chickenfeed

Registered
Hey guys, i havent been on here in a while but a few months ago some of you helped with my questions on a new motherboard. Since then i have managed to make a new computer ( first one :) )

It is as follows

Amd x2 3800 @ stock 2.0ghz
BFG Tech 7800gt oc @ 470/1200
dfi nf4 sli-dr
enermax noisetaker 420watt
OCZ 1024MB PC3200 Premier Series Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 512MB )

I bought this memory for my last pc 3 months ago and its been good ( had 2.6p4 @3.0ghz ) but as newer applications and games are liking to have 2048 of memory i would like to get a 2x1 gig dual channel of overclocking ram. I know you all have your preferences but in genral which ocz would be best for my rig ( with the intent to oc ; would like to see x2 at 2.4ghz )

I will be buying the ram from the canadian company memory express (all prices in CND )as i live near calgary and wouldnt need to pay for shipping ect. I have heard good things about ocz and due to the fact the only 2x1 gig kits that seem any good there are ocz so that narrows it down. I will put a link at end of post of all the ram so if anyone cared to look it over mabey theres a better alternative. Im hovering around the 300ish range so i just need a kit with good potential with ocing. There are 2 others but they are closer to $360.
I was looking at either OCZ 2GB PC3200 Platinum Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit;

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=6316&SID=

or OCZ 2GB PC4000 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 1GB - $269.95 After $30 MIR)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=7225&SID=

There are also some more expensive stuff ;
OCZ 2GB PC4000 EB Platinum Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 1024MB)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=6457&SID=

and OCZ 2GB PC3200 EL Dual Channel DDR Kit Titanium Edition (2 x 1GB)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....dProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=6453&SID=

The first to are more in my price range so basically which of these is best for money and has most potential. They also carry some Corsair , Kingston , Micron and Mushkin ( which some of looks pretty nice as well )
If you could spend a little time and help me out here id really appreciated it.

Heres the main memory page which has all the other brands, models ect

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=cat&memx_menu=112&SID=

thank you in advance for any help / advice

Chickenfeed

i would go with OCZ 2GB PC4000 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 1GB - $269.95 After $30 MIR). it's uccc which should clock pretty well.

cx323 said:
i would go with OCZ 2GB PC4000 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 1GB - $269.95 After $30 MIR). it's uccc which should clock pretty well.
After reading lots of reviews and asking around on forums, that's the kit that I decided on as well. I just ordered it today. . . .

Chickenfeed, I don't know if you already placed an order, but monarchcomputers has them for $200 after rebates.

No i havent yet. Ive purchased only 2 pieces on this online , the ram and my xfi but the first experiance wasnt greatest ( some sob at purolator cut bottom of box and stole ram !!! ) Also i will be picking up whatever i get in person , shipping is not an option. 200 is pretty good but is that us or cnd. I sooner pay 50 more and have it on the spot then have to sign up and give info to a new retailler and worry about shipping ect.

(ps: i see you have your 7800 at 500hz ( is that stock fan ? ) , did you manually set it there andtest it or did the auto oc set it that high, i havent try that high yet and 1200 hz on my mem get artifacts on every 2nd game for me so i lowered it to what yours is at for safety sake; also what are your temps at that i belive mine are around 38 idel and only 63 load after beating fear in 1 sitting on max settings , i heard that these get in the 80s under load wtf? )

( found out what the deal might be with higher temps.. I set custom fan speed in riva tuner ; default speed was 43% for me for 2d, low level 3d, and performance 3d; I have mine set at 50/50/100. I believe 80C is very possible at only 43%. I think i might post about this)

Last edited:
Chickenfeed said:
(ps: i see you have your 7800 at 500hz ( is that stock fan ? )
Yup. I'm in the process of changing it out for two 7800GTXs so I haven't tested it much.

Chickenfeed said:
did you manually set it there andtest it or did the auto oc set it that high
I manually set it and then tested it in games. I didn't bother to run any 3DMark tests.

Chickenfeed said:
also what are your temps at that i belive mine are around 38 idel and only 63 load after beating fear in 1 sitting on max settings , i heard that these get in the 80s under load wtf? )
Those are good temps for the stock cooler. Mine are closer to 45C idle and 70 load.

Chickenfeed said:
( found out what the deal might be with higher temps.. I set custom fan speed in riva tuner ; default speed was 43% for me for 2d, low level 3d, and performance 3d; I have mine set at 50/50/100. I believe 80C is very possible at only 43%. I think i might post about this)
Yes, it's better to let the fan run on full blast when you're gaming. But I don't think I noticed it make that much difference with my temps.

Back