• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the chances

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
Of successfully running a dual setup with two Athlon 1400 chips? THe catch is that one of them is a 100fsb and the other is 133. I've got the 100 unlocked and chugging along at 133 in a single board. I'm guessing I'd need a board with adjustable multipliers and fsb so that I coulr force the two to match. I'm thinking that this option may be cheaper than setting up a second computer from scratch.

Any suggestions on boards that this might work on?

nihili

i believe your best chance is on a tyan MP (2460), but this board lacks FSB and multiplier settings...
The sucess rate on tbirds has been low from what ive seen (though a few run them without hassle), and the differing FSB's really makes it harder.
My vote is to sell the chips (or retire them to other machines) and pickup a pair of cheap XP1600+'s, since they go so damn cheap over there, and an MSI k7d.
Picked up my MSI and 1800+'s and couldnt be happier :)

funkdamonk man just sold almost the exact same setup just awhile ago. 2 1.4 t-birds in a tyan s2460. It was pretty sweet.

nihili said:
Of successfully running a dual setup with two Athlon 1400 chips? THe catch is that one of them is a 100fsb and the other is 133. I've got the 100 unlocked and chugging along at 133 in a single board. I'm guessing I'd need a board with adjustable multipliers and fsb so that I coulr force the two to match. I'm thinking that this option may be cheaper than setting up a second computer from scratch.

Any suggestions on boards that this might work on?

nihili

They will run in a Tyan MP board. But you have to choose the FSB. You can run them both at 100mhz fsb or manually change the multiplier on the 100fsb athlon which is kind of difficult.

Getting 2 new cheap procs would be a better idea.
The Tbird 1.4 266fsb can be had for 70 to match what you have.
Or buy 2 1.3 durons at 34 each.
Or buy 2 XP17002s for 52 each. Then do an easy mod on the L5.
Or get MPs. Starting at $72.

I know the basic T-Birds run fine on the S2460 dual Tyan Main board.However your chip combo becomes a problem if the 1 processor is not unlocked .Unlock it test it on a single system if all is well pair it in a dual rig and all should run fine.

The Tyan S2460 can do it. rugby and FunkDaMonkMan do this, AFAIK. Probably more members.

You'd have to get the multiplier of that 100FSB tbird down to make it hit 1400 at 133FSB. Since no board based on the 760MP chipset have multiplier options, you have two choices.
  • Get a golden socket. These are hard to find items from Japan that plug into the socket, then the CPU plugs into the golden socket. They allow you to manipulate the multiplier via setting DIP switches in the middle of them.
  • Manipulate the multiplier via bridge cutting/connecting on the chip itself. For ceramic PPGA packaged chips this isn't such a hard to do as it is with OPGA Palominos with the organic substrate. There's a site that maps out all the bridges on top of the thunderbirds and tells you which do what. You can change multiplier settings, voltage and some other things with them but it's a painstaking process sometimes. I'll try to find a link.

Back