• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What budget Intel Processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

Building a facebook machine for either two potential family members who both need a pc, or if neither are interested might sell it for cost. Goal is to make something solid with good reliable parts for super cheap. Spent 2-3 weeks checking for deals and buying them up.

This is what I have so far.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathantrillo/saved/#view=kMMKHx

What I actually paid for the parts are:

Motherboard: $29.99
Memory: $26.99
SSD: $49.99
Video Card: $29.99
Power Supply $19.99
Case (not shown on part list) $25.99

The video card is an old one I had laying around, thought it paired nicely with the lack of digital out on the MOBO.

Pre-processor total of $183 which I'm pretty happy with for what I'm getting.

My question is what processor? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974 this is the cheapest and well rated, but all intel processors are. Would it be worth spending $20-$40 more or would this be a good buy? Quad core is out of the question unfortunately.

What would be the best processor before the cost of diminishing returns kicks in?

Thanks!

For a facebook machine, why bother with a discrete GPU? Get a CPU with integrated graphics... like the one you linked. ;)

Ok, for the second build then... go discrete and get a board with your digital out.

I would get the cheapest... but truth be told, I would have bought a Dell for $400.

1. What second build? :eh?:

2. Why would I buy a $400 dell when I can build something for $150 less?

I think I'd get the G3250 if you're buying from Newegg. $12 more gets you from 2.7GHz to 3.2GHz and 2MB L3 to 3MB.

I don't necessarily have to go newegg I just like their site. Thanks for the advice.

If you're just hunting for deals, I think anything in that range will be fine. But those low end CPUs don't really go on sale.

Yeah I noticed stuff like SSD and processors don't really have the same deals as everything else. Strange. I got the weekend I'll think about it and buy something Sunday night.

I think SSDs fluctuate quite a bit more. Set up an alert on Slickdeals if you're willing to wait. But that might not be the case for low-end stuff. With a few more posts you'll have classifieds access, and there are always some good deals in there.

I'm going to stick with new just so I know that if there's any issues I can get anything replaced on warranty. The processor is the only thing I'm waiting for now so need to get something ordered by the weekend. Otherwise I'm gonna be sat with a fully built PC minus the processor which isn't any fun. :)

1. What second build? :eh?:

2. Why would I buy a $400 dell when I can build something for $150 less?
I misunderstood the first post.

It's weird you have 30 for gpu but tben,mention it's free.

I say a Dell because you get a warranty with it and don't have to play tech support for your family. At this price you can get more out of oem, perhaps.

Earthdog, you're like my ex boyfriends. You just don't get me.

The reason I started building this in the first place was because I just wanted to build something. And I like getting packages in the mail.

Playing tech support is fun. I like working on computers.

I have the GPU sat here in my room doing nothing. I bought it for another computer and ended up not needing it, so yeah technically it still cost me $30 but i really have no other conceivable use for it so it's going in there so it can make up for the lack of outputs in the MOBO.

Back