• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can take the heat?? (excess of 120F) ambient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, what you can do I believe with that 800mhz processor is put in on a P3 mobo, cause it is socket 370, as long as it says it supports the via C3.

BTW, Kaltag, there is a refurbed mobo at newegg for $29 that supports the via C3. Here at the top. And I think the C3 800mhz or so can be had for around 30dollars.

Last edited:
Directron.com sells their Mini-ITX VIA Mobo with an 800mhz C3 (Ezra) processor for $114.00. 800mhz should be plenty for some audio and video.

nealric said:
watercool it :D
Probably not an option:
A) The radiator would get way too hot to bring the water down to less than ambient (and would probably be more than ambient)
B) The bumping of a car wouldn't be the ideal place for a liquid of any kind, really. Not to mention the space it would take up probably would not be worth it.

You guys are forgetting the best option. The Athlon XP 1700+ DLT3C. It's known very well for its ability to overclock incredibly with low voltages, but it also has an equal ability to run at high speeds extremely undervolted. It's possible to run these at only 1.0v at the stock speed of 1463mhz. At this low of a voltage level, it will dissipate only around 20W! I doubt that you could even find any other processor that has the potential to run this cool. And in the unlikely event that this is too hot, you could underclock further and still expect it to outperform any Via or Celeron. Perhaps the cost is not justified for your purposes(around $110 when paired with an adequate mobo) but it is worth considering.

Ffats said:
Directron.com sells their Mini-ITX VIA Mobo with an 800mhz C3 (Ezra) processor for $114.00. 800mhz should be plenty for some audio and video.

i have one of thouse and it works pretty well in heat if you have a bigger heatsink on it. however i dont recommend running it in the car before the car is cooled down because you WILL kill it. the c3's may not get hot, but they are still very heat sensitive.

good luck in your project, and post if you find a well working solution ;D

Gautam said:
You guys are forgetting the best option. The Athlon XP 1700+ DLT3C. It's known very well for its ability to overclock incredibly with low voltages, but it also has an equal ability to run at high speeds extremely undervolted. It's possible to run these at only 1.0v at the stock speed of 1463mhz. At this low of a voltage level, it will dissipate only around 20W! I doubt that you could even find any other processor that has the potential to run this cool. And in the unlikely event that this is too hot, you could underclock further and still expect it to outperform any Via or Celeron. Perhaps the cost is not justified for your purposes(around $110 when paired with an adequate mobo) but it is worth considering.

Best idea I've seen... My thoughts... By something decent, and under clock/volt it... if its just going to be something functional, you don't need too much power...

I have considered the 1700+ route but since it's easy to chip the core of said proc and it'll already have a pretty heavy HSF on it I don't think that the bumping around on the road is goig to help it much but perhaps the core is stronger than I think?

kaltag said:
I have considered the 1700+ route but since it's easy to chip the core of said proc and it'll already have a pretty heavy HSF on it I don't think that the bumping around on the road is goig to help it much but perhaps the core is stronger than I think?
Use a shim for sure.

most of if not all things silicon should survive at the temp u're talking about....

it seems that ur contraints are mostly cost based, and not about the heat....

both p3's and athlons have been know to work when not overclocked at near or over 80 celcius.... i used to have an athlon (tbd) with the thing running at over 80 celcius idle for the longest time ever and it'd never crash... i used a celeron/p5 heatsink on it with arctic silver and it was fine....

its not the proc temps that'll kill though.... most know northbridges will crash over 60 celcius last i checked, also ram doesn't survive too well either.... and yeah u're looking at ahard drive failure too at over 60 celcius....

remember, 60 celcius is "hot" to touch, and not "warm" (mid 40's)

so, what u're really looking for is some kinda ventilation system to bring the hard drive temps down and in general the board temps to below 60....

u're also looking for a fully integrated board with onboard EVERYTHING... once you have this, make a box out of metal for it, (heat insulating/reflective) and then bore two holes for two 40/60mm fans for that too... and then use dryer tubes to bring both the exhaust and intake away from the cource of the heat....

that's proally the cheapest way i can think on...

the metal box u're looking for can be found at home depot, its an "enclosure box" or a "wiring/control housing" ... its big, metal, and grey, should be in or near the outdoor lighting stuff.... dunno.....

hope this helps

Back