• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you add to your bong's water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghastard

Hey guys I've been planning out my water cooling setup for a while and one thing's been bothering me. My mind is pretty much set on using a bong, but I don't know what I should be putting in the water.

The idea of inhaling water wetter or other toxic chemicals isn't too thrilling. From what I've read, you should put something in the water to make it non-corrosive, as well as something to kill off bacteria and algae.

What do you put in your bong system?

Also - My water block is made out of machined aluminumn (made it myself). Yes, I know copper is much better, but it's a real b**** to machine in a CNC mill. Is there something to prevent the "battery" effect that's safe to breathe?

I'll post pics of my block tomorrow when I can take some pictures.

I use about 1-2 teaspoons of bleach per 2.5 gallon jug. My waterblocks are all copper though, I don't know if aluminum would react with bleach or not. It sure does with galvanised metals (zinc).

Since I use a bong with copper blocks and brass fittings, there is no battery effect (brass is partly copper), the shower helps break the circuit, and the radiator is no longer a problem. The bleach is enough so that the bong has stayed clear for a month or so now, but not enough to smell it. I have lights in the bottom of the bong and a see through filter, so I would know if it were nasty in there.

If you were to use nylon hose barbs, you'd have no battery effect corrosion either (no other metal to react with).

Happy hunting!

there is a nontoxic form of glycol antifreeze used in rv's and campers to winterize the water holding tank and lines when the system isn't in use, it even tastes good so that you don't have to worry about cleaning the lines when you fill it up in the spring. the active chemical is propylene glycol vs. etylene glycol for automotive antifreeze, it protects to -50 in case you ever wanna pelt or something and you can use it diluted or straight as it's viscosity is only a little thicker than water. i've been running my bong now for over a week with a 50/50 propylene glycol and water mix. i'm hoping the thermal properties will equal that of ethylene glycol or water wetter. it's safe and anti corrosive for all metals and plastics. you can get it at any auto store or department store, it's pink.

IF you don't have different metals in your system, there can
be no galvanic corrosion.

Even the non-toxic stuff is no good to breath. There is
no additive that I personally think is safe. You probably
do want to fill your system with distilled water. Monsters
will take longer to establish themselves it it. :)

jeez guys a little unpolite don't you think....guess it is up to me eh

WELCOME TO THE FORMS

Spec

I dont think that if I had a bong that I would put additives into the water. Id just stick with water, and make sure to check up on the bong every once in a while. This is one of the drawbackls of using a bong.

Put something in it that will give you a buzz. Then the bong will both do the job that bongs were originally designed for, as well as cool your computer :D
j/k

Bleach and aluminum don't mix, you'll get chlorine gas and corrode the ally quick.

You'll notice a lot of bleach cleaners specifically warn "do not use on aluminum"

I'd try baking soda maybe.

regards,

Road Warrior

Well, baking soda might form Co2 gas if it comes into contact with acid. Figuring that bleach is highly basic, wouldnt baking soda, which is also basic would have an effect on the aluminum just like bleach?

Wow, thanks for your input guys! :)

I think that I may just use nylon barbs so I don't have to worry about the aluminum corroding. I think I've heard about the bleach/aluminum problem that RoadWarrior mentioned, but forgot about it. Good thing it was mentioned, I was planning on using a little bleach.

For now I'll probably just use distilled water. It's safe as long as I change it every so often, and I don't have to worry about inhaling crap.

I thing that I'm going to start a new thread describing the water block I've made in a few minutes, I have some pictures to post.

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome Spec_Ops! :D

Yeah, baking soda is a base, but somehow I think it's not as bad with aluminum, I think it might be a reactivity order kind of thing, at least they use aluminum cans for soda water, and I think I've seen baking soda toothpaste in rolled aluminum tubes. Maybe they laquer them though. Aluminum baking pans are popular, never noticed them getting particular chemical damage when used with a mix containing baking soda. However, I guess one should test everything with scrap metal before risking it to one's system.

Road Warrior

A few drops of antibacterial dish soap works rather good... dON'T ADD TOO MUCH LIKE i DID ONCE...:d... oops...

Still you'll have to change your water, I could keep thesmell down with a couple of drops of Ultra bleach, but there was no help with the Sea Monkeys...

You might go look at walmart or the local pharmacy if you are really intent on putting something in. I did in the beginning. There is a cheap product design to kill bacteria for use in vaporizers and humidifiers. I.E. don't have to worry about breathing it as it is designed for humidifiers/vaporizers which is pretty much what a bong does, humidifies. Of course you use it for the cooling properties.

use bleach or something and simply duct the output of your bong out a window or something. if the air goes somewhere that it cant effect you, the problem is solved

Back