• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think about this build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David0

Registered
I have built a couple computers but nothing great so i was just wondering what you guys thought about this one. Is there anything you would do different? I do a lot of photo and video editing. I only do a little bit of gaming.

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155

XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP SLI (Stealing this from my current computer)

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Plextor M3 Series PX-128M3 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

The SSD with be for my OS and a few programs im also adding a couple hard drives from my current computer for storage

I might add more memory down the road. So what do you think any ideas or tips?

Welcome to the forums! It looks pretty good for A/V work, I'd say.

I would recommend more RAM however, even if it were just 8 GB. 64 bit photoshop can eat RAM on my laptop (I have 8 GBs). It's quite cheap at the moment.

I would go Z68 based board with the use of the iGPU. You can use the LUcid technology in some boards to run the iGPU and standalone GPU for better speed in some photo and video editing. Which if the application you use can be hardware accelerated, is a good idea. That or get a better GPU... or both.

Also depending on the size of files/layers etc you are manipulating, 4GB or ram may not be enough. 8GB is cheap. I would get that.

Haha i copied all this over from newegg im ordering 8gb of memory. I didnt even think about it but i have photoshop CS3 will that even work on a 64 bit system this is my first one?

I would go Z68 based board with the use of the iGPU. You can use the LUcid technology in some boards to run the iGPU and standalone GPU for better speed in some photo and video editing. Which if the application you use can be hardware accelerated, is a good idea. That or get a better GPU... or both.

Also depending on the size of files/layers etc you are manipulating, 4GB or ram may not be enough. 8GB is cheap. I would get that.

Wise words, as always!

Ill just try to install on my girlfriends laptop she has a 64 bit system

ANy suggestions on the Z68 board. I want it to have USB 3.0

Haha i copied all this over from newegg im ordering 8gb of memory. I didnt even think about it but i have photoshop CS3 will that even work on a 64 bit system this is my first one?

Yes, 64 bit operating systems will happily run 32 bit software. It's only *really* old 16-bit programs that cause major hassle.

I changed it to this

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

and a new GPU

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Back