• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think for this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I just bought a new case to go watercooling. I'm thinking to have everything inside the case for neatness. The idea is to get enough air to cool the radiator and the non-watered items (everything except the CPU's)

I'll have a dual PIII 1.26-S with Swiftech MCW372 waterblocks. The radiator is an old VW rabbit radiator (all copper).

For power I'll have an Enermax 472W PSU.

My question is about the fans to cool all this inside the case. My idea is the following:

1 120*120*25 mm fan in the lower front of the case (intake) --->69 cfm.
2 60*60*25 mm fans in the middle back (intake) --->24 cfm each
2 120*120*25 mm fans at the side right above the GPU and CPU, pushing air through the radiator (exhaust) --->69 cfm each.

Might reverse the PSU fan to draw in air instead of sucking air out from the PSU.

Is this right or do you think I'll have problems with this?

I wouldn't reverse the psu fan since the psu can get pretty hot and that way you'd be pushing that hot air into the case.

But just doing some cfm math, I see that you'll be having pretty negative pressure in the case. A lot more outflow than inflow. If possible, go with 80mm fans instead of 60s, that will increase your intake a bit more to balance things out.

Another suggestion would be to do the 7v mod on some of the outflow fans. This would balance the airflow and quiet things down too.

so much for water being quieter. ideally you will have at least 1 fan mounted to the rad, and it seems most people prefer to have it PULLING air through the rad. Or even both. (I believe Hoot's setup is done this way).

I also recommend trying your setup with fewer fans, and then add as necessary. Hate to have a system like that fly away on you. Also agree you may want to check you CFM math again, should be only slightly "negative".

With all the input, I think I'll test first this setup:

1 120mm fan intake
1 60 mm fan intake
1 120mm fan outlet through the radiator
1 80 mm PSU fan (outlet)

That will be enough to get the slightly negative pressure inside the case.

If my water temperatures are too high I will need to return to the drawing board. :)

THKS

You cannot go wrong with this setup. Two 120mm 85 cfm fans in front and two 80mm 33 cfm fans in rear. Plus the P/S fan. You will have a positive pressure.

attachment.php

Back