• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is a good chassis for a farm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I was going over the diskless setups, so you need a power supply for every other layer, memory, processor, motherboard and a cd-rom drive. But where do you put the cd rom drive. So my question. What can I use to make some folding layers, maybe 4 high. The only thing that comes to mind is those pc cases that lay horizontally on the plane of the desk, not stand vertically. any other options?

veryhumid said:
I was going over the diskless setups, so you need a power supply for every other layer, memory, processor, motherboard and a cd-rom drive. But where do you put the cd rom drive. So my question. What can I use to make some folding layers, maybe 4 high. The only thing that comes to mind is those pc cases that lay horizontally on the plane of the desk, not stand vertically. any other options?

How about some good ol DIY shelving :D

Although desktop cases would be an option.

I like the plexiglass farms personally but its a lot of work... just get some premade shelving or make your own.... you dont need them to be in cases.

yeah i have no experience with plexiglass i'm sure i would break a lot of it. The pegboard sounds nice, the shelving sounds good too. Too bad all the boards can't boot off one cd-rom.

Hey, to save ur self some $$$ just get mobos that can boot off the network and run a older comp for a server so that eliminates cdroms and hard disks

theres a guy out who has built an entire wooden Frame for his farms if i remember correctly when Shrom was thinking about building one he contacted the guy and was going to have him build it for him I cant remember the site right now but if someone see shroms on line ask him it was really neat looking... EDIT his name is haysdb @ SPCR and heres a snap shot of it

Attachments

• FoldingBoxFront.jpg
    FoldingBoxFront.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yeah, you don't necessarily need a CD-rom drive in each layer if you have mobo's with Linux PXE-bootable NIC's.

eek, i have no experience with PXE. Anyone know where I can learn to make a server for a group of comps to boot from? Can I do this with windows?

That wooden frame is AWESOME. I'll definitely ask him about it.

Also guys we forgot about rackspaces!!! There are lots around, you just have to get a board that won't need big pci cards sticking up. I know some of the 1U definitely need a low profile power supply and those slanted memory slots, though.

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_rackmounts.html

"Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.overclockix.octeams.com Port 80"

Nooooooo. I'll check it out once it is back up, I think I am going to go with rack units if possible. They don't take up much space and you can get a nice rackspace tower for them.

I wouldnt do a rack. You gotta get a rack (200-300) + 1u cases for all nodes (70 per case) when all that can be put to a better cpu!

My rack is just the width of a mATX board. On the bottom level I have the drives and single PSU for the first 2 levels and then there is the 4 layers and then the top has another PSU and drives for the top 2 layers. The airflow on it is fine as there are no sides retaining the heat in like the other styles do.

Back