• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a mousepot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually a Mousepot is only a container made by Jason aka MickeyMouse, not any solid container made for CPU cooling.

I like this thread... :) I only got lucky knowing what it was b/c someone mentioned "mousepot" while I was talking about a DICE tube... just put 2 and 2 together... but I didn't know HOW the name originated until a while after.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Actually a Mousepot is only a container made by Jason aka MickeyMouse, not any solid container made for CPU cooling.

I would disagree on a technicality. I think its more accurate to say thats what it used to mean. Now the name mousepot has become oc slang and has attached itself to the item in general. Kind of like the toilet is commonly called a crapper because of the first inventor, Thomas Crapper. His toilet was the "crapper" but now it applies to any toilet. Such are the perils of inventing something great :)

Mousepots are just a dry ice/LN2 container, given a design unlike other containers, supposidly to increase heat removal. Plenty of machine time.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
I would disagree on a technicality. I think its more accurate to say thats what it used to mean. Now the name mousepot has become oc slang and has attached itself to the item in general.

Anybody who does that is wrong and is simply calling it that because they don't know any better. I'm sure the other builders don't want you calling their ARC Pot, Dragon Pot, Ice Pot, chilly1 ect. a Mouse Pot either. We know what they are and who makes them, why the need to confuse people further?

El<(')>Maxi said:
Anybody who does that is wrong and is simply calling it that because they don't know any better. I'm sure the other builders don't want you calling their ARC Pot, Dragon Pot, Ice Pot, chilly1 ect. a Mouse Pot either. We know what they are and who makes them, why the need to confuse people further?

Dont know about that. I personaly dont know who makes what pot, a pot or a mousepot its all the same to me. All I care about is how well it works.

Also like I said its not really something you can change. Once oneone invents something new, and then everyone starts replicating the name of the original ussualy sticks to all of the variations reguardless. Its just how things work out. Thomal Crapper invented the first toilet but now every toilet is a crapper. Henry Ford doubed his invention the automobile but now we call all cars automobiles. You just cant fight it. Maybe you and a handfull of people know, but the rest of the world really doesnt care. Though I have to say be it my name attached to every single variation of my invention I would be happy, it would be quite an honor.

Call it whatever you like but your wrong :) I don't see what the problem is with being clear and accurate when you know better, generalizing is for those who don't know any better. While we're debating all this why don't you start calling all condersors and heat exchangers coils, there's no problem with that going by your logic.

not to mention how often i see a "mousepot" sold on forums, rather than "Dice tube"... i called mine "dice tube" when i sold it, but that's just me.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Call it whatever you like but your wrong :) I don't see what the problem is with being clear and accurate when you know better, generalizing is for those who don't know any better. While we're debating all this why don't you start calling all condersors and heat exchangers coils, there's no problem with that going by your logic.

let's call it "MaxiPot"... that sounds much cooler... < double meaning >

Mousepots are containers made only by MMouse period.

Yes, some things are generallized, but not this.

WaTTz said:

Clearly that depends on who you are as elequently demonstrated by the op :)

Maviryk said:
LOL! **** pots and camel pipes! LOL!

EDIT: WTF I can't say ****.

:santa:

WaTTz said:

After reading your comments, I had to reach for a Kleenex, but then realized I had none, so used a Q-Tip instead. I went to the Xerox machine to make a copy of them, but got a paper cut and had to use a Band Aide...This could go on and on...

Once a proprietary name such as "Mousepot" comes in to common usage to refer to an item, it becomes an eponym. Whether or not "Mousepot" has become an eponym is likely to be determined by the percentage of users/buyers who refer to this type a device as such.

So anyways... I have a Storms on my CPUs and GPUs...

I'm thinking about putting a Storm on my hard drive to watercool it.

Back