• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the CPU ratio supposed to be at???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkilla74

what is the CPU/memory ratio supposed to be at???

Everyone is using different ratios... I have mine set to auto but some people use 1:1 or 4:5, could it make a difference what I set this at when it comes to stability when overclocking???

Last edited:
jkilla74 said:
Everyone is using different ratios... I have mine set to autom but some people use 1:1 or 4:5, could it make a difference what I set this at when it comes to stability when overclocking???

CPU ratio IS NOT memory ratio, CPU ratio (aka multiplier) makes the CPU run X times the FSB speed, so if your multi is x10 and the FSB is 133, you'll get 133x10 = 1330MHz, the AthlonXP (Palomino's) have these locked while the newer AthlonXPs (Tbreds) have them unlocked, and a simple flash of the BIOS will let you use one in your motherboard.

Memory ratio stands for how fast the ram will be running in comparison w/ the FSB, say your FSB is running at 133Mhz, but your ram is PC-2700 (166MHz), what you do is set 4:5 and the RAM runs 25% (or 33MHz) faster than the FSB, so your FSB is still 133, but the RAM speed is 166. same goes w/ the 5:4, the FSB will be faster than the RAM. 1:1 means they both run at the same speeds

thank you for clearing that up... So in other words, i should have it set to 4:5 because i have the PC2700 DDR ram(samsung). I also have the 2400 xp+ processor.

no if you have an amd processor you should have it set to 1:1 becuase you will get better performance if you overclock it

say you had:

1) 133cpu / 166fsb (4:5)

or

2) 166cpu / 166fsb (1:1)

1 will perform better on intels, but 2 will perform better on amds

I didn't say what would be faster where I just explained what are the possibilities that can be selected and used

i know you didnt, i was replying to jkilla74's statement:

jkilla74 said:
thank you for clearing that up... So in other words, i should have it set to 4:5 because i have the PC2700 DDR ram(samsung). I also have the 2400 xp+ processor.

heres my specs:

Athlon xp2400+(Volcano 7 cooling) 33 -37 degrees celcius
A7V333 (bios 1015) 24-28 degrees celcius
1024 megs of PC2700 DDR samsung ram
Visiontek Geforce 4 ti4600(theramaltake copper cooling kit)
4072 official dets(12100 3dmarkscore with no overclocking)
30/40 WD 7200 rpm ata100 HDs
SB audigy 5.1 gamer
48/12/48 sony cdwr
400 Wt Ernomax PS

if your not overclocking set it to 4:5 which sett your system at 133cpu / 166ram. you will get a slight increase in performance over 1:1 at stock.

But, if your not overclocking, then why do you have ddr333 (pc2700)

If I were you I'd create a sig, like mine or anyone elses for that matter, go to User CP and click Edit Profile, scroll down and you'll see the place where you enter the sig with all the system parameters and hardware that you have, it makes it much easier to replying on questions when we can look and see the stuff that the person asking the Q got, and reply with an answer instead of asking for his/hers hardware.

I think you should stick w/ 1:1 because higher than that will only limit your overclock if you start upping the FSB, and the performance increase is non-existant to only a couple of %, which is not worth it. You might even get better performance running at stock... Its just a possiblity that the manufacturer decided to include, I also think it shouldn't be used.

i used to have the 2100+ processor and i was overclocking for months with my FSB at 140.. with no problems, now i bought the 2400+ chip which leads me to the following problem and this is why im trying every option:

I tried putting my FSB at a mere 140 with my 2400+ processor and i get a restart when playing UT2k3.... I benchmarked millions if times, played JK2 for 2 hours and never have any problems. Only when using UT2k2.... Also i set the FSB at defaults and just tried overclocking with my Video card and Im still getting the retsrts with UT2k3.... Its weird, almost like the game is running out of spec and it deosnt like it. Ive never raised the voltage ubove 1.75 though..

thanks for the tip, thats what i want to here, only thing that sucks is i like to have my fsb at 140 but it would suck to have to change the FSB back everytime I play unreal..

Back