• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats Easier To Cut

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agree with Dissolved.

If you are using a powered saw you shouldnt see a difference. If you are scratching away at it with a tooth pick you will probably want to go with Acrylic.

if you are making a case out of it use Lexon because it will be a little more durable. Acrylic should be fine for windows though.

does anyone know how difficult it is to cut lucite?? This material is stronger than glass (saw it at home depot). Does any here have experience cutting this material?

Just cut a piece last night. It wasn't too bad either. Make sure you score the piece really well if you are going to use the score and snap method of cutting.

I also found that a jig saw worked well too. I would recomend that you use a fine toothed blade and a variable speed saw. If you get the blade moving too fast, the lucite will start to melt. ( i tested a scrap peice to see how easy it is to melt and it didn't take all that much).

i swear no joke i couldn't even crack my 12x4 piece of lexan, i cant believe its so tuff, its rubber glass:D btw do jigsaws cut lexan well??

BinarySuperman said:
i swear no joke i couldn't even crack my 12x4 piece of lexan, i cant believe its so tuff, its rubber glass:D btw do jigsaws cut lexan well??

I believe so, but I have never done it myself. Keep the speeds down to prevent melting.

BinarySuperman said:

I do believe Lexan over 1 inch thick is qualified to be "bulletproof" and can withstand a magnum from point blank range. I'm not sure though don't quote me on that.

score & snap:

You run a knife over the path you want the glass / plexiglass or whatever to break in (must be straight line.) Go over it many times (10 or so for plexi) then set the "scorred" part on the edge of a table, workbench or whatever then slowly push the part thats not on the table down. Soon it will just snap (hopefully along the line you scorred.) This works b/c the part you scorred is weaker then any other spot so if it has to break somewhere it will be there. Hope this helps.

Sony said:

I do believe Lexan over 1 inch thick is qualified to be "bulletproof" and can withstand a magnum from point blank range. I'm not sure though don't quote me on that.

That's about right. Althougth I think it's less than 1 inch. My father was showing us the propreties of lexan a few years back and threw a 3mm thick piece on the ground, gave my brother a pick-axe, and told him "put a hole in it...". My brother is 6'2" , 230Lbs. Not a small guy. It took him 20 mins of pounding to break through the stuff. It does however strech like saran-wrap when you hit it with a pick-axe.

LOL i can actually get a visual of you and your Dad sitting there drinking a cold one while your brother tires himself out trying to break this lexan!!! LOL Did you at least like offer him a beer too for swinign the axe?

It dosent streach when you shoot it beacuse of the high veloicty of the projectile. lexan is one of the strongest transparent materals in the world. plexi is quite a bit weaker. but also cheaper. as to cutting plexi is easier to cut by scoring but lexan is not too bad with proper tools

Back