• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the Problem: Board, Chip or PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feelsgoodman

Registered
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Processor: AMD Phenom 2 6X 1090T
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w

When I plug power connectors (2x4) into the CPU power connectors, the system fails to post and shuts itself down

I've reinstalled the CPU into the board three times. It seems to be completely clean and undamaged.

System does not shut itself down when pins are not connected, but shuts itself down if pins are connected even if the CPU is out of the socket.

I don't believe I've lost any pieces or solder joints off the mobo.

System was posting and I was in the process of figuring out the Windows 7 OEM install process when I went into the BIOS. I went to the advanced BIOS options screen and switched some, but didn't save them. I opened up the DVD drive and put in the Windows 7 disc. About three seconds later, powered off and automatically restarted then powered off again.

Been trying to fix ever since. Have separated motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU from case and all other components to avoid screws, etc. shorting mobo.

I know this sounds crazy but one of our "old timers" did this so I'd better mention it. Are you SURE you got the CPU power connectors in the CPU power socket or did you mix them up with those new-fangled PCIe 2x4 connectors??? Like I said, it sounds crazy but an experienced builder and OC'er did this just recently so it's not like you'd be alone if you had ...

Gentlemen, I think I may have found the answer. The board remains on significantly longer if I have a fan plugged into CPU_fan, the 4-pin CPU fan connector. I wasn't using these pins before because they were obscured by my heatsink, so I used 2 3-pin connectors for my CPU fans (they both used 3-pin connectors anyway).

I'm going to see what happens when I put the CPU in the socket and put the heatsink on using this connector for one of the fans.

That may be it right there. I know some Gigabyte boards can be picky with certain things. Unless I have my CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header, it will beep warning errors constantly even though I have the warning turned off in BIOS.

Also, if the board has SATA 3 make sure you are using the correct ports. Last time I heard, SATA 3 is backwards compatible but very buggy. Can cause all sorts of strange issues.

Also, just check the power cord itself. Though I had a dying PSU once. Just had a bad cord...

Back