• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats your Intel LGA775 stock HSF base made from ? Copper or Aluminium ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Xeon 3060 copper core, never used it ofcourse :)
And my celly-L 430 came with a alu core, which I never used either.

I'm still thinking of a way to use these somewhere..

Run a 'high end' C2x cpu in an average case, then run a low-end celery. You'd understand why they'd package a copper HSF for 130w cpu with 4 cores, and a cheap aluminum HSF for a sub-40w single core. It will make even more sense when you look at their sales numbers for the 'weaksauce' cpu's.

My Q6600 with stock HSF in a smaller lian-li with 4 fans @7v puts this G0 near its thermal spec. :mad:

2140, al

Not that bad actualy, 25% oc with AS3, temps reach 40 from Tjunction whilst running F@H 24/7.

I cant OC anymore until I get new RAM/Board/GC so its not high on my list of upgrades.

My E6750 came with copper, my P4 631 purchased about a month earlier came with aluminum.

Both were a real pain in the rump to mount, I swear I almost cracked the mobo..

My E6750 came with copper, my P4 631 purchased about a month earlier came with aluminum.

Both were a real pain in the rump to mount, I swear I almost cracked the mobo..

Like this at the last pic HERE ? :D Its pretty normal to feel that ! ;)

I even mounted the HSF before installing the mobo in the case, so I could support the back of the board while pushing those darn pin things in.. I'm still not even confident the thing is mounted right, tho temps are fine.. I think my next step will be a better cooler, might have both Al and Cu Intel HSFs to give away soon..

When the motherboard is installed I'm quite confident that that warping will be non existent. Also, I installed my heatsink after I installed the motherboard. This is because the mounted motherboard is within specifications. That way, if it does break when installing the heat sink, either Intel or <insert motherboard manufacturer here> gets to replace the motherboard.

I've actually got a second 775 stock heatsink, it's basically a cooler master "square chunk of metal with fins". Solid aluminum as far as I can tell. For some reason they figured a small cube of aluminum with a couple fins on each side was a good cooler for a prescott machine.

got this one too... and somehow, it works just fine :p

When the motherboard is installed I'm quite confident that that warping will be non existent. Also, I installed my heatsink after I installed the motherboard. This is because the mounted motherboard is within specifications. That way, if it does break when installing the heat sink, either Intel or <insert motherboard manufacturer here> gets to replace the motherboard.

I can picture THOSE phone calls between Intel and Gigabyte..

Intel: "Call Gigabyte"

Gigabyte: "Call Intel"

Me: "I'm hosed"

ya if you break a mobo by putting the stock hs on... thats just plain stupid cus that could have been adverted by putting the hs on with the mobo out.

I can GUARENTEE thats what both intel and the mobo maker would say.

heck thats probably what happens in the assembly line for like dell or anyother OEM... the stock hs is put on the cpu with the mobo out of the case probably on some special stand that puts pressure right behind the cpu socket and surrounding area.

ya if you break a mobo by putting the stock hs on... thats just plain stupid cus that could have been adverted by putting the hs on with the mobo out.

I can GUARENTEE thats what both intel and the mobo maker would say.

heck thats probably what happens in the assembly line for like dell or anyother OEM... the stock hs is put on the cpu with the mobo out of the case probably on some special stand that puts pressure right behind the cpu socket and surrounding area.

Taken directly from the manual of the ASUS P5k-premium(Black Perl):
Make sure that you have installed the motherboard to the chassis before you install the CPU fan and heatsink assembly
and
a post from Intel
The boxed Pentium 4 processor should be installed after the desktop board has been secured in the chassis.
The reason? A human is incapable of supporting the motherboard in a manner that prevents the bowing of the board like the chassis does.

Last edited:
Taken directly from the manual of the ASUS P5k-premium(Black Perl):

The reason? A human is incapable of supporting the motherboard in a manner that prevents the bowing of the board like the chassis does.

haha ok... id think putting my hand right behind the socket while pushing thoes crappy pins in would provide much better support than a coupla skrews further round the socket.

haha ok... id think putting my hand right behind the socket while pushing thoes crappy pins in would provide much better support than a coupla skrews further round the socket.

Agreed, that's why I installed it outside the case. I tried it inside the case once, and couldn't even get the pins to click..

Back