• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When building my computer what surface should i work on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SecrtAgentMan

I have tile floors and a big wooden desk, also I have a glass table but it has metal legs.

What I'm worried about with the floor is that I have dogs and their hair is pretty much everywhere, just little bits that is.

Also I'm getting an anti-static wrist band just in case.

I've worked on carpet for years and years and never used an anti static strap. Never had any issues.

I wouldn't work on carpet. I work on just about any solid, clean surface. I do ground myself on the case before I touch components, and I always remove the power cord from the PSU before messing with stuff inside.

Sure you might not have any problems with carpet, but I wouldn't take the chance with my components. Obviously Steve knows what he's doing, but for my money, I'd be more cautious.

That whole anti static thing seems like a myth to me. I have never had any issues with static or anything. I just do mine on a table that's available.

Its not a myth, but it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. Just be sure to ground yourself before you touch your components, dont shuffle your feet on the floor to build the static and you will be just fine. I have never used a wrist strap and built most of my PC's on the carpeted floor.

I believe that it's real, since there are warnings for it everywhere. The chances are probably extremely low, unless you purposefully try to build up static. However, I've handled parts in all forms of price ranges, in corporate and retail environments...and never had one go dead to where I felt it was ESD.

I would say that I do touch the metal in the case sometimes. But, that's as far as I go. And using anti-static bags for transporting parts (if I have them, but it won't always stop me either.)

It's definitely a real problem. You can do a quick google search to see the effect static shocks have on ICs (its bad). Typically products will have some kind of static protection, though, so you don't have to worry too much about it.

I've worked on carpet, my bed, tile, and hardwood, and none of them have been an issue. A simple protection measure is to ground yourself by touching the case or some other metal before you touch any sensitive electronics. Unless you're handling bare ICs, a grounding strap is really overkill. And even then, it's not critical for all ICs.

in all the years I have worked on systems. I cant even begin to remember a single time that static has killed anything. Can it happen? Yes. Has it happened to me? NO.

The following are the only surfaces I would suggest not using:

an electric fence
a transformer for your local Power Co.
the sun
any body of water
and a van de graaf generator.

Note, all of the above are humor and really, a desk is fine. If in doubt use a wrist strap connected to a grounded item and a rubber mat.

in all the years I have worked on systems. I cant even begin to remember a single time that static has killed anything. Can it happen? Yes. Has it happened to me? NO.

The following are the only surfaces I would suggest not using:

an electric fence
a transformer for your local Power Co.
the sun
any body of water
and a van de graaf generator.

Note, all of the above are humor and really, a desk is fine. If in doubt use a wrist strap connected to a grounded item and a rubber mat.

Lmfao, that's pretty funny. Nothing like fresh humor in the evening.

this thread cracks me up, anyway my last 3 builds have been done on the comfort of my bed. no issues with static so far...

Its not a myth, but it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. Just be sure to ground yourself before you touch your components, dont shuffle your feet on the floor to build the static and you will be just fine. I have never used a wrist strap and built most of my PC's on the carpeted floor.

+ 1. If you know what your doing you can get away with lots of things.

Maybe back in the day IC were more "sensitive" (dammit whats that word) to ESD, not so much nowadays.

Back