• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 775 P4 for light OC in carputer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Definetly do not go with the prescott. Old technology and gets VERY HOT (one of the hottest CPU's ever". I know from expiernce(look at sig lol). The dual core would definetly be better for 3 displays at the same time. You might want to get a real video card, not integrated for this though...

Yeah, I know. I have a water cooled prescott myself (3.2 @ 3.75), and on air that would get pretty hot. As for the built-in graphics I'm past that now. And the built-in was originally just for the third monitor, that won't be used for games. Now it's a full size card with one PCI Express Radeon and one PCI Radeon.

sorry to say this but NONE of the things you mentioned are ideal for a carPC

The main thing you are going to be looking for is the least amount of watts. Search for a "Pentium M ITX" and then buy a Dothan. Next you'll need a "special" power supply or otherwise known as a voltage regualtor since the car battery is NOT a constance 12v. Some may say to use a inverter but these get very hot and cause "noise" in the speakers if you have the carPC attached to your speakers either directly or through your headunit. You need to do some more reasearch before you spend any money.

And OVERCLOCKING a carPC...? For video playback and music :eh?: what are you thinking?

CoreDuo might be a better option power wise..

but the mobile platforms have serious quirks from my understanding.

greenmaji said:
CoreDuo might be a better option power wise..

but the mobile platforms have serious quirks from my understanding.
It's atually the BEST but there are no boards for one unless he wants to buy the Intel Mac Mini which is a perfect solution but installing windows on it might be hard.

well if looking at power wise/size... why not the core duo/solo mac mini. it uses a DC power supply external. cheapest one comes @$499 or $399. with bootcamp you can run windowsXP, Linux now to if i remember correctly.

*edit*
lol thegreek great minds think alike. :p

Yes, there is a motherboard but check out the issues JC had with it :rolleyes:

Not that its a universal problem as of yet.
But then again, check out Gautam's coments about mobile platforms (He has plenty of experince with Pentium-M)

Thanks, guys! The advice would be very valid for most carputers. And especially for newbies in the carputer world. But there are a few points:

1. This is my (as far as I can count now) fourth carputer in around 6 years. I put a computer in my car before the world carputer existed. So I'm no newbie to that world, all though I am a newbie to DC-DC PSU's, which is why I have ordered a 300 watt PSU now and am prepared to order another if that doesn't cut it (I'm hoping that an extra PSU powering all peripherals should fix cut it).

2. Rock solid music playback and independent video on three screens would probably demand the fastest Core Duo CPU's, and they are around $ 600 to 800, which wouldn't break the budget, it would nuke it! I have a 2.0 notebook myself, and it's able to play back two movies pretty solid, but when playing three it will have jerky video on all players if anything is done to any of them (like pausing, jumping chapters and so on). And the same thing happens if I add music playback to the mix, then even the music may pause briefly, and that's something I don't accept. Period.

3. Contrary to common beliefs an inverter (if I can't power this beast with two DC-DC PSU's, I will go back to the inverter and try to find some way to stabilize the voltage in on 12 V even with lower voltage from the car battery) doesn't necessarily add noise. I have been running three different inverters, two cheap *** and one mid priced (around $ 150). The cheap stuff did, the good one doesn't. Of course the electrical system of the car and especially grounding points it also matters, older cars (pre 1990) can be a lot more tricky to get right, and cars with an under dimensioned electrical system (like most smaller japanese cars) are difficult too. My Chevy Suburban has a 160 amp generator specially made for demanding audio applications, I don't really think I would be able to make that one fail under any pressure. Even the PSU of the computer can make a difference. If it's on the weak side for the setup, that may cause a buzzing noise. But inverters can be noise free if everything's balanced correctly. Finally the headunit in the car can make a big difference. Pioneers are a lot more difficult to get correctly than Sonys, and Alpines are said to be close to impossible. And the car amps, but that's a lot simpler: If the amp gives you grief, just cut the signal ground and let the ground go via the car. That has helped me with three different amps in two different cars. I have been running noise free in two cars for three years now, until the accident that prompted this upgrade. We are now reduced from a two family car to a one family car, and I want to make that car as cool as possible.

4. The overclocking basically has two reasons: I belive if you can manage to do the OC'ing without upping the VCore (something that seems to be very possible with the combination of mobo and CPU) an overclocked CPU running at 70 % load will both use less power and run cooler than a non OC'ed running at 95 to 100 %. Or is that totally wrong? Anyway, that's not the most important reason. The most important reason is that I want to be able to do as much as possible at the same time, and this overclocked Dual Core equalling a much more expensive CPU should allow me to do other stuff on the front seat monitor (like use GPS software) without disturbing the independant video on the two rear screens.

So again your points would be very valid in most cases, but this is not a normal case. More like a nutcase... :D :cool:

the coreduo would run on par with a A64 of the same freqency (like the cheapest stock coreduo and a stock opty 165)... maybe a 930D would do the same work stock kinda guessing here..
And use ALOT less power doing it.
I can see why they are suggesting it..

But it seems like you have alot of the issues already covered. :shrug:

Do you mean that the 1.66 core duo could compare to the 930 3.0 gHz, or that the faster Core Duos would do that? I thought that the mHz gap relationship (2.0 Centrinos comparing to a lot faster regular P4's) was changed when the Dual Core P4's came out?

it depends on if your talking about superpi or 3d performance..

I would say that 1.8(thats what I thought the lowest coreduo was sorry) would be close 3d perfomance wise to the 930D.. the coreduo would nuke it in superpi though lol

someone help me here.. this is what I get for reading the benching threads :rolleyes:

You're right, a 1.8 core duo (and later a conroe) will equal if not beat the p4 3Ghz on all tasks, at much lower power usage.

Sjaak said:
You're right, a 1.8 core duo (and later a conroe) will equal if not beat the p4 3Ghz on all tasks, at much lower power usage.

THANK YOU!!! :D :attn:

For the help I requested :)

Sjaak, you mean it will beat the Pentium Dual Core 3 gHz? I'm not talking about a regular P4, it's a Dual Core @ 3.0, which should be a lot faster than a regular P4 @ 3.0. You guys are confusing me when I thought I had the selection ready? ;)

Edit: In Norway the 1.8 Core Duo and the motherboard will set me back almost 200 dollars more than the Pentium Dual Core setup. I can live with that if there's a significant gain, though.

Well.. If your going to overclock, I would suspect that the coreduo would do QUITE well on air and need much less power doing so.

On high end air (just a warning we all can't be Dumo ;) )
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1434828&postcount=11
take the multiplier into consideration.. 255FSB seems to be a bug with the high end chips but they will do that on air.. just multiply it by the multi you would be getting for a guess at what it could do..

Very nice! But that's a 2.16, and that version costs more than 800 dollars! Which is more than I was planning on using on mobo, RAM, CPU and graphics card all together! So the question is if a Core Duo 1.83 (which is the highest I can go, it's a lot more expensive already) can compete with a Pentium Dual Core 3.0.

Edit: To get more input on this choice I am creating a new thread about how they compare.

Last edited:
Back