• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which card for a 40+MHz bus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I asked a while back for recommendations for a NIC and got several responses... but still haven't bought one. :) From what I read then and have read since, 3com is good and Intel (or Intel chipset) is good. So I've narrowed it down to those 2. But I need a card that's going to work well at 40+MHz PCI bus speed. And lest I ask for too little, I'd like to keep the price low, too. :p

For refence, my current DSL setup is a Kingston KNE111TX through a Westell WireSpeed. I have also used an Efficient Networks 3060 internal DSL modem. Both of these run into problems in the mid 160s FSB (40+ PCI) with all types of transfers (web, ftp, etc.).

I shouldn't complain, but I still have room to move up in speed and I need my internet connection to follow. It's pointless for me to have a high OC and low/no transfers since browsing is my primary task. If anyone has run a NIC this high or can offer any suggestions here, I'd greatly appreciate the help. FYI, I recently was able to cycle through WinME at 180 FSB, so that's my target OC (unattainable, sure, but gotta have something to shoot for :) ). Sorry for asking the impossible, but I've gone speed crazy. :D TIA

I think the two you are looking at are probably going to be your best bets. I have my Dlink DFE 530TX on a 41.5 mhz bus(83 * 1/2) with no problems but I am not sure how much farther it would go. They are like $15 at buy.com though. (I have had two of those cards this high but right now am running a 3COM SOHO100 with no probs too). I had some problems with the cheapo linksys card.

Thanks for the reply, William.

Anyone else have any ideas? Also, I'm ignorant of model differences with these (or any) brands. Any help there will also be greatly appreciated.

usually there are several models in a run of network cards. This will have to do with features. One card may be a regular generic 10/100 card while one that costs $5 more will have wake on lan support which is really an IT thing. Some of the more expensive cards ($40+) will have an on board processor so the CPU does not have to compute the network signalling. THis is sort of like winmodem vs. hardware modem. Hope that helps.

I have a older Intel and a D-link running at the same speed that William said and I dont have any problems either..I upgrades to the D-Link form the intel because the BestBuy in my area is selling them for under $10

Back