• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which end is out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmonkey

Registered
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
I just put watercooling in my computer, and I think I may have put the pump on backwards... Is it?
 

Attachments

  • PICT1581.jpg
    PICT1581.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 224
OP
C

cmonkey

Registered
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Doh! I was wondering why my temps were no better than with air cooling. My videocard wasn't in when I took that picture.
 

frodoski

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Location
Looking for enough acrons to stay happy.
There has been much discussion on the subject of the order of components in the cooling loop. I am not sure that anyone has conclusively demonstrated that the order of the components makes much of a difference in the temps you will experience.

Argument #1: Send the output from the pump so that the cpu gets the "coolest water possible.

Argument #2: Send the output of the pump to the cpu because of the higher velocity of the coolent to the cpu will aid in removing more heat from the cpu to the radiator.

There are many other arguments which abound but none has been truly substantiated.
 

thegame

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Location
stillwater, mn
frodoski said:
There has been much discussion on the subject of the order of components in the cooling loop. I am not sure that anyone has conclusively demonstrated that the order of the components makes much of a difference in the temps you will experience.

Argument #1: Send the output from the pump so that the cpu gets the "coolest water possible.

Argument #2: Send the output of the pump to the cpu because of the higher velocity of the coolent to the cpu will aid in removing more heat from the cpu to the radiator.

There are many other arguments which abound but none has been truly substantiated.


i think you have read his ? wrong lol. he was asking witch way is out on a pump.
 

fafnir

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2003
Location
moved
no, its not the order of componets thats the problem, its that he;s reversed the flow to the cpu, which needs the water to come in at the center barb for the best results, etc
 

RedViper

Disabled
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Location
Illinois
frodoski said:
There has been much discussion on the subject of the order of components in the cooling loop. I am not sure that anyone has conclusively demonstrated that the order of the components makes much of a difference in the temps you will experience.

Argument #1: Send the output from the pump so that the cpu gets the "coolest water possible.

Argument #2: Send the output of the pump to the cpu because of the higher velocity of the coolent to the cpu will aid in removing more heat from the cpu to the radiator.

There are many other arguments which abound but none has been truly substantiated.

I've been wondering this too. There tends to be so much "conventional wisdom" when it comes to water-cooling that alternate approaches, different ways of doing things, never seem to get discussed seriously.
 

crimedog

Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Location
South of Boston
Missing his point... with a 3 barb block you have to have inlet in center, outlets on sides. with his pump backwards he's doing the opposite.

with any system with decent flow it doesn't matter (<1degree) what order your components are in. try it out!
 

frodoski

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Location
Looking for enough acrons to stay happy.
thegame said:
i think you have read his ? wrong lol. he was asking witch way is out on a pump.

I understood the question completely...CMonkey was asking which port on the pump was the output and which was the intake. That was answered by:

fafnir said:
yep, the vertical outlet on the pump is the "out"

My statement was a response to this statement:

Senater_Cache said:
haha, that sucks man. Yeah it took me a while to figure it out too.
Too bad youre gonn ahave to refill everything.

What I did not state clearly is that because it does not matter which direction the coolant flows through the system he does not have to drain and reconfigure his system. The amount of heat that the pump imparts to the water is insignificant when compared to the amount of heat imparted by the cpu. Now, I want qualify my statement that the amount of heat imparted by the pump may be insignificant is based on the use of low wattage pumps.

And finally some assumptions are being made :

fafnir said:
no, its not the order of componets thats the problem, its that he;s reversed the flow to the cpu, which needs the water to come in at the center barb for the best results, etc.

crimedog said:
Missing his point... with a 3 barb block you have to have inlet in center, outlets on sides. with his pump backwards he's doing the opposite.

with any system with decent flow it doesn't matter (<1degree) what order your components are in. try it out!


If it is a three barb water block then he may have an issue with the output of the pump being connected to the outer barbs. But, having said that I find no mention as to what version of water block is being used based on the image provided no conclusion about the configuration of the water block can be made. I have attempted to discern the configuration of the water block by zooming in on the cpu area of the image provided by CMonkey and I cannot tell you what the configuration is to save my life. But, it does not appear as though there is a wye connector in the loop.
 

pauldenton

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Location
London, England
frodoski said:
If it is a three barb water block then he may have an issue with the output of the pump being connected to the outer barbs. But, having said that I find no mention as to what version of water block is being used based on the image provided no conclusion about the configuration of the water block can be made. I have attempted to discern the configuration of the water block by zooming in on the cpu area of the image provided by CMonkey and I cannot tell you what the configuration is to save my life. But, it does not appear as though there is a wye connector in the loop.

looks like a black plastic Y very close to the block's "inlets" to me....
 

Section8

Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
Boy I can't be sure but that looks like a water block with only 2 barbs? Does it have 3? Even so if he wasn't sure on the direction of the pump that he probably has the inlet and outlet mixed on the block regardless.
 

jenkx

Member
Joined
May 11, 2004
Location
West Coast
Clearly there are three barbs. The pump flow is backwards. There are no clamps. Trouble is waiting to happen.
 

RedViper

Disabled
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Location
Illinois
crimedog said:
Missing his point... with a 3 barb block you have to have inlet in center, outlets on sides. with his pump backwards he's doing the opposite.

with any system with decent flow it doesn't matter (<1degree) what order your components are in. try it out!

Not missing anything, but it seems you are. I frankly can't see his block well enough in the picture to say if it's hooked up correctly or not. My comment was focused soley on agreement with frodoski's.
 

squeakygeek

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Location
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
frodoski said:
There has been much discussion on the subject of the order of components in the cooling loop. I am not sure that anyone has conclusively demonstrated that the order of the components makes much of a difference in the temps you will experience.

Argument #1: Send the output from the pump so that the cpu gets the "coolest water possible.

Argument #2: Send the output of the pump to the cpu because of the higher velocity of the coolent to the cpu will aid in removing more heat from the cpu to the radiator.

There are many other arguments which abound but none has been truly substantiated.

Actually, we have used math to show that in most setups, the temp drop across a heatercore, or the temp increase across a component or pump is negligible. Your point #2 is false because the flow of the coolant is constant throughout the system.
 

RedViper

Disabled
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Location
Illinois
squeakygeek said:
Actually, we have used math to show that in most setups, the temp drop across a heatercore, or the temp increase across a component or pump is negligible. Your point #2 is false because the flow of the coolant is constant throughout the system.

Isn't it a given that heats drops across a rad or am I misunderstanding you? As for temp increase across components, isn't that a variable, depending greatly on the component and its configuration? If you're correct in #2, and I mean no challenge to what you're saying, then it stands to reason that WCing component (rad, res, pump, blocks) placement is far less important than I've been lead to believe?

My loop is: pump-cpu-gpu-rad-res. Does this make sense? I read someone who was adament that a res decreases flow. If flow is constant, how can this be true?
 

squeakygeek

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Location
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
RedViper said:
Isn't it a given that heats drops across a rad or am I misunderstanding you? As for temp increase across components, isn't that a variable, depending greatly on the component and its configuration? If you're correct in #2, and I mean no challenge to what you're saying, then it stands to reason that WCing component (rad, res, pump, blocks) placement is far less important than I've been lead to believe?

My loop is: pump-cpu-gpu-rad-res. Does this make sense? I read someone who was adament that a res decreases flow. If flow is constant, how can this be true?

If you want to learn more about this topic, I suggest you read older threads, search the web, or I would be happy to discuss this with you in a new thread, rather than steer this one away from its purpose.
 

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Joined
Dec 28, 2001
Location
Corner of No and Where
So to clarify the answer to the original question (for future reference ;))

The pump outlet is the one that is vertical, or at least close to it in the pic.

Added information (not originally asked): in that specific system, it is agreed that in a 3-barb block the wb inlet is the center barb, so in the system pictured in the first post, flow is backwards.

Are we all agreed on those points? :)