• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is overall better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Someone is interested in buying my entire rig, so I've been looking at the lga775's because I want PCI-Express.

My question is what is the average o/c for the 3.0? the limit that is. I'm going to do one of the following:

1GB of pc3700 DDR1 ram, and a 3.2ghz 540
or
1GB of pc4300 DDR2 ram, and a 3.0ghz 530

I basically want about 3.8ghz completely stable. I'll still be using my XP-90, so the cooling shouldn't be a problem.

Which overall is faster/a better deal? If I get DDR2 i'll also be ready for SLI mobo's (since i'm GUESSING they'll be using DDR2 only), i'm getting a 6600GT (later on another for SLI)

Thanks.

The new 530 J ( E0 stepping) should do 4 G easily ,but your XP90 won't fit on 775 socket ! I 'm waiting myself to upgrade but will wait the new 630 with 2 Mo of cache , and EM 64 T FOR THE SAME PRICE and better than EE at 999$ that are selling now !

If you want SLI and PCI Express pronto, as well as a chip which outperforms even the newest P4's, you might consider hopping over to the AMD camp. I've bounced back and forth between Athlons and Pentiums, and happen to be at the tail end of my current stint with an Intel based system. ;)
My next will most likely be an Nforce4 based Athlon64 rig running dual 6600/6800GT in SLI for good measure! Unless intel comes out with some real compelling stuff real soon, I'm afraid it's back to AMD for the next year or so. :thup:

AMD mobos have PCI-E? I didn't see any for sale at newegg.com.

The XP90 will fit LGA775 with a $5 adapter, Like Bigstan said.

My next CPU will be a LGA775 EM64T, mainly because they are guaranteed to be the new E0 stepping.

Look at my "green" rig for an idea what a LGA775 system will do on air (my cooler is wimpy too).

I know the 3.0 is a little cheaper, but I went with a 3.2 because the i915/i925 chipsets seem to average 240 to 260 FSB. Because the PCI-E lock is not perfected yet, they won't do super high FSB speeds.

I'm still using DDR1 RAM because I have lots of it, but if you have to buy RAM, you can future-proof the new system a little more by going with an Abit AA8 and DDR2. I've been very happy with my LGA775 rig.

I already worked out a new rig, tell me what you guys think compared to the one I have now

Intel LGA775 540 3.2ghz
Abit AA8 or AG8 (depending which ram I can afford)
1GB of HyperX pc5400 (DDR2) or 1GB kingmax pc4000 (DDR1), depending on the mobo
6600GT (was going to get the chaintech for $207, but waiting out for the evga for $197) not as good as a video card I have now, but future proofing for SLI =D

the other components will be the same, just buying another of them.

With this setup w/ an XP-90, I *should* be able to do 3.8+, right? would this system be faster than my current? (except for video card, but 2x6600GT would be better i'm sure)

Thanks!

Last edited:
You have a great system already. While you have listed some really good components in your wish list, I'm not sure it will significantly beat your current system in all benchies. The Intel system will multitask better and certainly will do video encoding better. As you already know, with that vid card you proposed, you will take a hit on the graphic scores (until you do SLI).

Ok, here are a couple things to think about if you are serious about getting a LGA775 system. Invest in a 24-pin PSU with high +12v amps. Whatever PCI-E vid card you get, make sure it's the retail box version so that you'll have the power adapter for the card (most PSU don't have the correct connector for the vid card yet). The OEM PCI-E cards won't have the power adapter.

If I can hit 3.9 gig with a wimpy Jungle cooler, you should have no problem doing 3.8 gig with a XP-90. First thing you need to do after you are up and running is to update the BIOS. I have found it's best to leave the PCI-E frequency setting on "auto".

You might consider going with a 6800 instead of the 6600GT, provided they make 'em in PCI-X - I never looked. If you do plan on going the SLI route later down the road, you'll have some seriously fast graphics.

I'm quite serious about getting an LGA system, given I can sell of my computer to *help* pay for it. I can't exactly afford $1100 w/o selling this =P

I'll probably go with the DDR1 memory and AG8, because I can always go DDR2/925x later on, I don't have that kind of money right now. If I have to, i'll even get 512mb for a while, but at least I'll be running @ 3.8ghz+ =D. Wonder if I'd be able to hit 4ghz with a 3.2 totally stable =o
EDIT: I almost forgot, how do I know if it's a 24-pin connector? Will it say? Are you saying the Fotron 530W isn't good/won't work?

I don't think they make PCI-Express 6800's yet. But I'll probably just go with 2x6600GT's anyways.

Ok the sparkle 550W has a 24 pin, and is rated 36A on the 12V...is this a good psu to use then?

EDIT : Is the connector on the motherboard 24-pin, or is it actually beneficiall to have a 24-pin on a 20-pin?

After finally getting 2.4ghz on my A64, i might not get an LGA775. Unless i'm guarunteed i'd hit 3.9ghz or 4ghz (on a 3.2) and that it'd be faster than my A64 @ 2.4ghz, i'll probably pass it on. what do you think batboy, is your LGA775 @ 3.9ghz quite a bit faster than any rig you've been on at, say, 3.4ghz? I'm still very interested in getting it, but i'm not going to do it unless i'm sure it's going to be a gain.

DamienKC said:
After finally getting 2.4ghz on my A64, i might not get an LGA775. Unless i'm guarunteed i'd hit 3.9ghz or 4ghz (on a 3.2) and that it'd be faster than my A64 @ 2.4ghz, i'll probably pass it on. what do you think batboy, is your LGA775 @ 3.9ghz quite a bit faster than any rig you've been on at, say, 3.4ghz? I'm still very interested in getting it, but i'm not going to do it unless i'm sure it's going to be a gain.

an a64 @ 2.4 will probably meet or beat a p4 @ 3.8-3.9 in most things aside from video encoding/multi tasking

the diffrence between my a64 2800 @ 2.5ghz vs my p4 3.2e @ 4ghz is marginal at best. I just prefer the multitasking performance of the p4 over the 10fps i get in "some" games with the a64

Back