• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why cant they go higher then 52x??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

I dont understand why cant cd-roms read faster then 52x? is the the limit or something? is it a heat issue?

Spin them much faster, and the cd breaks from centrifugal force. There are ones with multiple heads that read at 100X+, but they're cheap and rare.

They could probably find a way around this but with CD-Roms as cheap as they are right now it's not worth the R&D costs. Plus anything more than 16x is pretty much overkill. You get less gain in performance the faster your cd-rom spins. For instance the difference between a 36x and 52x cdrom is about .5 seconds.

Is there any prog than can actually LOWER the speed of a CDROM-Drive? I mean all this new 52X speed CDROM Drives spin the CDs so fast, once you take em out of the drive, its toaster hot. Plus more likely to scratch the hell out of em.

I want to read em at like 16X max and it would probably be a lot quieter

Ive used a FREE prog on my Asus 50x that works at 10000rpm. I`ll give U a link in minute

Caffinehog said:
Spin them much faster, and the cd breaks from centrifugal force. There are ones with multiple heads that read at 100X+, but they're cheap and rare.

there's no such thing as centrifugal force. i think you mean centripital force. :D my physics teacher hammered that into our heads. the force in circular motion goes towards the center rather than in a straight direction. so when it gets going that fast the force on the center of the cd is equal to the mass times velocity squared. thats a lot of force for the component and the media itself to take.

jeff

james.miller said:

50x? when writing cds at 24x my freecom writer spins at 10,000rpm.
I dunno what you are talking about , bro. It written on the box of my cdrom!

Exiler an other: I found it, but it is in German ( no, i looked through all the internet and not only my country!)
It is
www.cd-bremse.de

Download at:
www.home.t-online.de/Home/Joern.Fiebelkorn/CDBremse.exe

I`ve translated this in english
This is the main menu in original

so cdr drives wont (cant) burn faster then 52x? what will all these companies do? start making cheaper dvd burners?

Yes they must branch out into CD-R Burners and DVD Roms or go dead like Teac and Mitsumi.

BinarySuperman said:
so cdr drives wont (cant) burn faster then 52x? what will all these companies do? start making cheaper dvd burners?

exactly...faster and cheaper DVD burners....also I believe they are going to increase the REwrite speed since that is still pretty slow

Spec

Vovan said:

I dunno what you are talking about , bro. It written on the box of my cdrom!

taken from here : http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=96&page=Performance

Many of the first 32x writers use four zones to reach 32x. They start writing at 16x, change to 20x, then 24x and then reach 32x later in the session. The Freecom 32A does something a little different. The drive uses three zones and starts writing at 20x. At the 16 minute mark, the drive changes to 24x and then to 32x at the 40 minute mark. This gives the Freecom 32A a very fast average writing speed.

There is one side effect to doing this and that is vibration and noise. When the drive starts writing at 20x, it's spinning at about 10,000 RPM. Believe it or not, this drive is faster when writing than it is when reading!

there you go (iv'e put the important bit in bold)

56x anyone?

not doubting your little centrifugal theory - but I have seen 54x and 56x - so you can get higher than 52x

I have heard of cds exploding in the drive, perhaps that was more of an up-to-date mission impossible thing going on rather than fast drives

I've got a 56x and have yet to have a CD shatter or explode or anything of the sort. Runs like a dream

I've got a 52x CD-ROM drive, and I wouldn't describe it as "runs like a dream". Runs like a jet engine, maybe.

but what happens after they make the 52x dvd burner? what then? what kinda new invention is gonna come out? mini dvd disk?? minidvd burners??

Back