• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would go with 2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80G or 120G HDDs or if you can go SATA go with the Seagate Barracuda ATA V in either 80G or 120G. dont forget in RAID 0 you need to run identicle drives and in RAID 1 your capacity is equal to the smallest drive installed on the system. there is nothin wrong with going with a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 either.

Sink

Why Seagate? So you can pay more for slow drives? Even the SATA 8mb cache is significantly slower than all of it's competitors. The Diamondmax Plus 9 isn't a bad drive, but seeing how you own a WD800JB already, it seems to me the choice is clear.

Also you don't need to have identical drives, that is merely a recommendation. Keep in mind a Raid 0 array will be exactly twice the size of the smallest drive, and the slower drive will be the bottleneck (in which you will not gain the extra performance of the faster drive).

I have a Raid0 array with an ATA/66 Fujitsu and IBM, 13.6 and 9.1gb respectively. Works flawlessly.

Hitachi's 120 and 180gb 8mb drives are regarded as the fastest ATA100 available. There may be faster, I haven't checked in a while. Visit www.storagereview.com, it gives a rundown of most drives on the market.

Last edited:
Why Seagate you ask?
Reliability : Something WD is not known for lately. Lets not forget all the recalls. Come on give me a break 36G HDD sure its fast but its itsy bitsy teeny weeny. I'd fill that up quick and be dieing for more room. And you can go right ahead and buy an Hitachi ATA 100 drive, theres a reason they are the fastest ATA100 drives. No one else makes ATA100 drives anymore. they have all been ATA133 for quite sometime now.
And why not Maxtor? What you cant bash Maxtor and Seagate at the same time?
By the way I never said there was anything wrong with WD I own 3 of thier drives, had to RMA 2 of them. Also 2 Maxtors and a Seagate. My problem is with the size of the Raptor drives, thier performance is great but the capacity is laughable. Barely anyone is manufacturing a drive under 40G anymore. So why 36G, maybe thats the biggest they could make it without it exploding.I would love the drive if it was at least 80G if not at least 120G. but until then I'll stick to Seagate or Maxtor.

Sink

Sinkhole said:
And you can go right ahead and buy an Hitachi ATA 100 drive, theres a reason they are the fastest ATA100 drives. No one else makes ATA100 drives anymore.
Sink

Um, this is not true. WD and Seagate drives are also still ATA100. Also, ATA133 is more of a marketing scheme. Actual transfer rates do not excede those of ATA100.

//and its hard claiming one company is the most reliable. Do a search and you will still see people having problems with their Seagate. I've owned all three. The only thing I can tell is that the WD is louder than Maxtor and Seagate :D Other than that, I've had no real problems with any of my drives(not counting high fsb).

Sinkhole said:
Why Seagate you ask?
No one else makes ATA100 drives anymore. they have all been ATA133 for quite sometime now.
And why not Maxtor? What you cant bash Maxtor and Seagate at the same time?

I wasn't "bashing" Seagate, nor did I intend to bash Maxtor. I've owned both drives, and yes they are reliable, but I cannot attest to Seagate's current speed reputation. The Maxtor on the other hand is a solid performer, and worth trying if the price is right.

This being the overclockers forum, I would generally assume that people creating Raid0 arrays are aiming for speed. This is something that cannot currently be found in Seagate drives. Sure they have their advantages being quiet and reliable. But Hitachi's drives are right there with Seagate in terms of noise. And in terms of speed--- the Hitachi drive put's the Seagate in it's place every time in any benchmark.

FYI only two manufacturers use the ATA133 spec. It was created by Maxtor as a marketing gimmick to increase sales.

As I said - IBM/Hitachi drives are the fastest 7200 rpm drives.

Read it as it is writen.
Although they are ata100 they are faster then the other 7200 rpm drives including ata133 or sata drives.

I am getting 69 write and 99 read MB/s in 2x raid-0 with atto.
(So a single drive is at least 35/50 MB/s.)
Can any other 7200 rpm ata/133 do that?

ATA133 is a tad faster in benchmarks, maybe some type of programing to optimize benchmarks butr they are slightly faster. In real world performance I've never noticed a difference. In a non RAID and RAID 0 setting. (these are comparing maxtor drives with a 133 RAID controller and a 100 RAID controller)...point is ATA133 makes a very small difference, but as Pla stated/showed, HDD is even more important.

As far as paying for 80gb seagate SATA drives...not for me. raptors is where I'd put the money...yeah yeah half the storage for the same cost but the speed is there...and remember these are basicly SCSI drives there probably more reliable than ANY IDE drive. They also come with a 5 year warranty...longest warranty of any IDE drive I've ever seen.

Also RAID does not need identicle disks, it's optimal, but not neccessary. you can run an 5400 rpm 2mb cache 20gb drive and a 7200 rpm 8mb cache 120gb drive...you'll just end up with a 40gb RAID-0 drive with effective seek time of 2 5400rpm 2mb 20gb drives.

RAID rocks....but for me I'm cheap and don't use much storage...I'm trying to find some used 40gb WD's and use my 80gb 8mb for a file backup.

how do you setup a raid o+1? Are there many options or just one way to config it?

also if i get a raid card and want to back up data with a ghost program using a single drive, can I use the mb ide interface or does the raid card supersede the mb ide interface? If none of my ideas work, how would someone back-up data using a raid 0 with a ghost program?

Last edited:
BSK21 said:

:eek: really?

i got 1xWD80GBJB + 1xWD60GBJB

:D will give a try if its working

(I take it you have 80 and a 60 gig hard disks.)

Your best bet would be to get another WD60GBJB then and RAID 0 that (120 gig), and use the 80 Gig as your "Safe" disk.

Total = 200 gig for another 60 Gig disk.

If you RAID the 80 and 60, you will lose the ability to use 20 Gig of the 80 Gig disk.

Zatoichi said:
how do you setup a raid o+1? Are there many options or just one way to config it?

also if i get a raid card and want to back up data with a ghost program using a single drive, can I use the mb ide interface or does the raid card supersede the mb ide interface? If none of my ideas work, how would someone back-up data using a raid 0 with a ghost program?

you need a controller that supports 0+1...there are a lot that do it but if it's only a 2 channel one your writes are gonna crawl. If you run just a RAID 0 it's easy to backup your drive. I have a RAID 0 using a PCI controller, and one drive on IDE0 on my motehrboard and CDroms on IDE1. I use windows XP backup utility to backup everything on my RAID array to my HDD on the mb IDE controller. shouldn't be a problem for you at all. The only thing you need to watch for is which on boots up, for my 8k3a the mb IDE supercedes the RAID array in a bootup so make sure your IDE drive either has no boot sector or you know that's it's for sure HDD-0 for isntance and set your array to HDD-1 and have the bios boot to HDD-1 first.

Thanks for the reply.

The motherboard I bought is the asus A7n8x Deluxe. it has both the serial and ide interface. plus a raid chip for the serial drives. I plan on using 2 serial drives in raid 0 and want to back-up everything on ide. Is xp back-up prog good like a ghost prog? I don't want to be re-installing drives, progs, nothing at all. just burn an exact image of OS to HD. If xp can do that then great, but if no then someone steer me in the right direction to a good prog that will ghost ntfs and make images of my system.

hmm well I just backup all my documents, movies, mp3's and game saves. When I reinstall the OS I just like the feel of a 100% install with no junk (which eventualy comes back). A lot of people reformat thier OS 3-4 times a year...I usualy only do it 3 times because of school...

yeah i reformat a lot throughout the year and i'm tired of it. that's why i want something simple like ghosting. i feel that xp back-up doesn't have that feature but will check it out to see. if not then i will buy a ghost prog. hope someone could recommend me some that are decent.

everyone....hehe

Norton Ghost Ive used a lot, and works fine for doing just what its name says. (However Ive had recent problems with copying a ghost img over a network as its being created, some help with that would be nice ;) )

If your going to buy 4 80gig drives, do RAID 5, not RAID 0+1, you would get space of 3 drives rather than just 2. though might lose *some* speed, but otherwise your already doing RAID 1 so the difference is irrelevant.

240gigs a week? hmm I only do about 10-20gigs a day. and no its not all warez. and yes I use almost all of it. and of course would be more if I had more bandwidth to play with :p

I reformat whenever I start having problems, sometimes thats like once every few weeks(if I break something ;) ) or only a few times a year. Again, if anyone knows how to get Norton Ghost to copy its ghost image across the network while creating it, PLEASE TELL ME!! heh)

From reading another thread I think the statement bout "8mb cache does nothing in RAID 0" I beleive it means. having 2 8MB drives in RAID does not give you more speed (per say) as just one 8MB cache drive. But the 8mb drives (atleast from WD, and I think seagate) have 3year warranty, not 1.

and my official opinion is.. I hate RAID 0 and wont use it because its gain is not worth it if you have fast enough drives to begin with. plain ol' single partition, big, fast drives. is all ya need, heh. And besides, if you want your "system" partition (ie, not data storage etc) drive to be fast, just buy a fast scsi, which are still faster than any ATA or SATA setup to date. Wont get as much space for your buck but we are talking about speed here right?

anyways thats my 2 cents..or 3 cents, whatever :D

After following this thread for a week, I've decided to drop the raid idea and upgrade my motherboard first(NF7-S coming). Then later I'll use the onboard SATA controller for a Raptor.

LOL,

raid-0 is in general twice faster.

How do you like 70 mb/s writing and 100mb/s reading?

All progs load twice faster.
Yes if you mainly use IE - no need to go faster (0 is equal to 0/2)
But if playing games - on every map now it takes 10 seconds compared 20.
Or when capturing raw avi you have to make sure the hdd will not be slower then usb2 or firewire connection (48 and 40 MB/s).

pik4chu said:
and my official opinion is.. I hate RAID 0 and wont use it because its gain is not worth it if you have fast enough drives to begin with. plain ol' single partition, big, fast drives. is all ya need, heh. And besides, if you want your "system" partition (ie, not data storage etc) drive to be fast, just buy a fast scsi, which are still faster than any ATA or SATA setup to date. Wont get as much space for your buck but we are talking about speed here right?

Put two Raptors in Raid0, and for the price, will beat *anything* SCSI can offer for the same price. Will also beat *anything* a single IDE drive has to offer-- PERIOD.

I'm talking speed for the price. Not everyone has 500$+ for a decent SCSI setup. Most of the people here attain speed for the least money possible. Hence overclocking--- It's only common sense. If we could all afford 3200+'s with SCSI subsystems, we wouldn't have to overclock!-- duh

Your dream setup sounds all high and mighty, however it's highly unrealistic for most people.

Back