• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winchester 90nm SS CPU Thread.. (Good Read)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dukemurmur said:
So when the new Winchesters coom out with SSE3 they will b SS and a new steping to boot.

Around January/Febuary next year, take a look at www.overclockers.com.
Yeah, if people are willing to replace the chips for SS, they might as well wait for new revision of SSE3 just like Dukemurmur have said.

i talked to a guy about this SS issue (owner of a big computer company) and he said that it is most likely just a rumour, so i wouldnt be worried about it too much.

majinwar said:
i talked to a guy about this SS issue (owner of a big computer company) and he said that it is most likely just a rumour, so i wouldnt be worried about it too much.

:rolleyes:

well i agree with him. He was talking about that before you jump to conclusions like this. You should have hard evidence that they changed it; not just suspicions that you heard this or read that. If anyone has any overclocking differences it could be based on many things and it would be hard to tell if it was SS or not. Make sense?

Yes I would like to see some proof of why a certain assembly date on the cpu is the "cut off date", +/-5% for Winchesters to contain SS. Once again OC-Master comes up with speculation made to sound like facts that is unsubstantiated - hope you never have to write a thesis or dissertation! Oh and I dont consider similar speculation on other forums as proof either!
When we finally realised that AMD was locking cpus it was about 6 weeks after the assembly date, this was because that is how long it takes for them to appear in any volumes. To claim week 45 (which just occurred 2 weeks ago) is the date for SS is nonsense as it simply cannot be physically proven at present.
The funny thing is depending on where you read about it strained silicon is claimed to have been introduced on 90nm from anywhere between August and now!!!

Last edited:
he got the strained silcon one, that explains the 2.8GHz clocks. The fx55 with its ss has been seeing easily 2.8GHz, some even 2.9GHz with adequate air cooling. AMD has a small number of winchesters with SS but soon all of them week 45 and newer will use SS. If mine isnt SS I will just sell this and buy a 3000+ maybe 3200+ if I need the 10x multi with SS and ill have about 2.85GHz :D

Overclocker550 said:
he got the strained silcon one, that explains the 2.8GHz clocks. The fx55 with its ss has been seeing easily 2.8GHz, some even 2.9GHz with adequate air cooling. AMD has a small number of winchesters with SS but soon all of them week 45 and newer will use SS. If mine isnt SS I will just sell this and buy a 3000+ maybe 3200+ if I need the 10x multi with SS and ill have about 2.85GHz :D

I guess you have never heard of statistical phenomena like the normal distribution? It has always been the case that the overclockability of CPUs of the same make, from the same wafer even, vary a lot. Does that mean that the lucky guy who can run his Xp-2500+@ 2.4 [email protected] volts has got a CPU made with some special technology? No, it just means that by pure luck he got a very perfect CPU- that got to be perfect by a lot of lucky circumstanses during production.

SS? Well we may be seeing SS in the Winchesters soon, but nothing anybody here has written constitutes any kind of proof of that. You jump too willingly to conclusions.

CH

can someone post a link on how to understand that AMD code printed in the CPU?

Thanks

a small percentage of pre week 45 are believed to be SS, this is the more likley outcome than his cpu being "super pure"

Overclocker550 said:
a small percentage of pre week 45 are believed to be SS, this is the more likley outcome than his cpu being "super pure"

That is crap. The average oc for winnies has been rising... 2.6 to 2.7 to 2.8

FX-53 to FX-55 gained a ton of clock speed with the introduction to SS. Way more than 100mhz.

You also can't compare the FX to the winnies, the fx has twice the cache (amongst other things).

Stop spreading this half-cocked theory about SS.

crimedog said:
That is crap. The average oc for winnies has been rising... 2.6 to 2.7 to 2.8

FX-53 to FX-55 gained a ton of clock speed with the introduction to SS. Way more than 100mhz.

You also can't compare the FX to the winnies, the fx has twice the cache (amongst other things).

Stop spreading this half-cocked theory about SS.

The fact that the fx-55 is 130nm, and winchester is 90nm and the FX is still getting better clocks, is decent proof of no SS yet, highest winchester I have seen is charlies 3.2, but Ive seen an fx-55 at 3.8. 600mhz is quite a gap. Dont forget, 130nm Vs 90nm, aswell.

AMD is gonna eventually use SS on all of the CPU's anyways. They announced support for SOI and SS a long time ago. why is everyone all amazed at it? With winchesters arleady hitting 2.8 or >, easily, w/out SS, then I can't wait for SS to kick in! :santa:

dippy_skoodlez said:
The fact that the fx-55 is 130nm, and winchester is 90nm and the FX is still getting better clocks, is decent proof of no SS yet, highest winchester I have seen is charlies 3.2, but Ive seen an fx-55 at 3.8. 600mhz is quite a gap. Dont forget, 130nm Vs 90nm, aswell.

AMD is gonna eventually use SS on all of the CPU's anyways. They announced support for SOI and SS a long time ago. why is everyone all amazed at it? With winchesters arleady hitting 2.8 or >, easily, w/out SS, then I can't wait for SS to kick in! :santa:

Can you post links to this speeds? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

A logical question to you believers:
Why would AMD move current CPUs to SSOI immediately instead of giving the new higher model(4200+ etc) CPUs it instead? I mean it would be the most logical thing to do. SSOI IS more expensive wouldn't believe they'd just put that on the Winnie 3000+ just to test it or just to make us overclockers happy - it just doesn't work that way, new technology is more expensive and thus sold at premium not at the existing price.
If all 3000+ Winnies would start doing 3GHz on air there would be no more 3000+ models, instead they would be 4800+ or whatever.
Still always nice to dream no.

Back