• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winchester 90nm SS CPU Thread.. (Good Read)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
amd_luvarboi said:
A logical question to you believers:
Why would AMD move current CPUs to SSOI immediately instead of giving the new higher model(4200+ etc) CPUs it instead? I mean it would be the most logical thing to do. SSOI IS more expensive wouldn't believe they'd just put that on the Winnie 3000+ just to test it or just to make us overclockers happy - it just doesn't work that way, new technology is more expensive and thus sold at premium not at the existing price.
If all 3000+ Winnies would start doing 3GHz on air there would be no more 3000+ models, instead they would be 4800+ or whatever.
Still always nice to dream no.

There is a huge flaw in your argument. You are assuming that the newer technology always warrants a higher price, and this is not necessarily true. Based on your theory, one could assume that the newer 90nm process would have been saved for AMD's top-teir s939 processors. However, we have seen that 90nm actually reduced the prices of the s939 lineup. I hope now you can understand the error in your thought process.

deception``

Just to ask, what Winnie did the guy at 3.2 Ghz have? The FX 55 starts at 2.6 Ghz, while most Winnies are slightly below that. You'd have to take that into consideration as well.

So how long until we actually see the procs? I'm looking into one of these should I get a 3000 or 3200. Also is the best hsf the xp90? I was thinking k8n-neo2 platnium w/ a 3000. LMK.

saltytheseagull said:
So how long until we actually see the procs? I'm looking into one of these should I get a 3000 or 3200. Also is the best hsf the xp90? I was thinking k8n-neo2 platnium w/ a 3000. LMK.

1. Not sure on the exact date.

2. The XP-90 is fine.

3. The MSI is a good motherboard to pair with the 3000+. Personally, I am waiting for DFI's offering, but you can still overclock very easily with the K8N Neo 2. If you do get the 3000+, however, make sure you have some good ram as your chip will possess an upper-most multiplier of 9x. What this means to you is that it will require more HTT to reach high speeds versus a s939 3200+, which has a more flexible upper multiplier of 10x.

deception``

They should be hitting circulation now (SS SOI 90nm), if you are talking about venice, no idea.

I agree with deception, wait for DFI.

you are dillusional if you think SS 90nm processors are coming out and some have been released

charlie tricked his winnie into getting cold and got a 3.2ghz screenie. he also got a very unstable air cooled 3ghz shot. might have done 2.8ghz stable, not much better than all the other winnies (saying he got a SS one is just silly because it would be a terrible overclocking SS 90nm.)

SS INCREASES COSTS AND REDUCES YIELDS

A lie repeated often enough soon becomes the truth, and people will see what they want to believe.

crimedog said:
you are dillusional if you think SS 90nm processors are coming out and some have been released

charlie tricked his winnie into getting cold and got a 3.2ghz screenie. he also got a very unstable air cooled 3ghz shot. might have done 2.8ghz stable, not much better than all the other winnies (saying he got a SS one is just silly because it would be a terrible overclocking SS 90nm.)

SS INCREASES COSTS AND REDUCES YIELDS

A lie repeated often enough soon becomes the truth, and people will see what they want to believe.
I agree with you to a point - this speculation about random cpus containing SS is more than likely to be erroneous. The reason being is that it is an all or nothing situation when shifting to SS at 90nm hence isolated incidences are unlikely as we would see many many more occurences (just like the profliferation of locked cpus - which was not a trickle but a flood!).
However SS is highly likely to come out on 90nm (if they are already not fabbing them now). Yes the process may be more costly but if the tradeoff is increased yields which absorbs these increased costs then it makes economic sense to do so. I am guessing they have already decided based on the 130nm results on FX whether to shift to SS on 90nm and as overclocks seem better and by extrapolation implying better yields then SS will be (if not already) implemented.

There is no reason for AMD not to go to SS on the 90nm If it increase performance yeilds and thus offsets the cost of the SS that is implemented. As seen in the FX-55 it can GREATLY increase the speed of the "old" 130nm tech to around 3ghz plus ON AIR!! that is something that could really only b done on phase-change....just my two cents....

So basically AMD is saying they are implementing SSOI but on 130nm first (fx-55) then on 90 nm. So this reconfirms the previosly stated that though they will without doubt implement SSOI on 90 nm chips there is no factual nor representitive basis for assuming such has occured as of yet. I'll keep my money in my wallet till nforce 4 and the ati offereing are out, as well as these famed 90nm SSOI chips. Theoretically they should do very well as the combination of SS and SOI should result in lower current leakage compared to Intel's prescott. Hence it should also run substantially cooler. By implementing SSOI on specific parts of the Die, costs should maintain a relative minimum increase making the transition easier and more cost effective.

snvpa said:
I'll keep my money in my wallet till nforce 4 and the ati offereing are out,.

LOL... ATI's first implementation of any chipset v Nvidia Nf4... yeah good joke...ATI who?

Last edited:
Actually if you look at reviews the ATis chipset just about even in performance to nvidia
And just for your info, its not ati's first chipset, they have chipsets for both XPs and P4s, granted, they're not really fast.

The Coolest said:
Actually if you look at reviews the ATis chipset just about even in performance to nvidia
And just for your info, its not ati's first chipset, they have chipsets for both XPs and P4s, granted, they're not really fast.

[Please excuse my off topic remarks] Actually I'm speaking from pure experience, rather than pre-production reviews of hand selected components!

deception`` said:
There is a huge flaw in your argument. You are assuming that the newer technology always warrants a higher price, and this is not necessarily true. Based on your theory, one could assume that the newer 90nm process would have been saved for AMD's top-teir s939 processors. However, we have seen that 90nm actually reduced the prices of the s939 lineup. I hope now you can understand the error in your thought process.

deception``
90nm process makes manufacturing them cheaper, SSOI doesn't. See my logic?

Let me ask you this then. How can you speak of expirience if its their "first" introduction?
I know that the earlier P4 and XP chipsets sucked. Doesn't mean this one will suck as well.

i have seen some ATi XP mobos being sold... You should read some reviews this chipset might not be perfect but it does look pretty damn impressive for a first shot at A64

Back