• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinDeals - Live PC Tech Help 15% Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Deal is from our sister site, WindowsSecrets.com:
http://windowssecrets.com/deals/liv...tm_medium=text-link&utm_campaign=live-pc-help

Description:

• Scan and remove viruses, spyware, and other malware
  • Install/uninstall software, drivers, and other applications
  • Setup printers, MP3 players, and other peripherals
  • Configure Windows firewall & updates
  • Setup a new computer or device
  • Setup a home network

Purchasing gets you a one time "anything" fix - as much time as needed to get the problem solved. Might be a nice present for that special someone who is always breaking their computer and calling you. :)

You know if you buy it for someone they will call them up for the easiest fix in the world, and come back to you for the hard stuff. Would be one of those things you know would happen.

eh all these sites that do remote tech support are kinda meh IMO.... there is no way they could remove some of the viruses i have seen out there that have been effecting a majority of the computers out there now adays.

dont really consider this a cyber deal, but a plug to just make some more money for iNet.

dont really consider this a cyber deal, but a plug to just make some more money for iNet.

That is what it is.

As for actually removing some stuff, I've removed every popular virus out there in the past 7 years or so. I worked a helpdesk at a fortune 500 for company employees, most of them working remotely. You can do anything necessary either by remote control or other network based interfaces (remote registry, remote log access, etc)... Unless the machine can't get a network connection.

That is what it is.

As for actually removing some stuff, I've removed every popular virus out there in the past 7 years or so. I worked a helpdesk at a fortune 500 for company employees, most of them working remotely. You can do anything necessary either by remote control or other network based interfaces (remote registry, remote log access, etc)... Unless the machine can't get a network connection.

so you have never seen your typical proxy virus / fake av / and as of late boot sector viruses, which pretty much render the computer useless as far as any type of remote connection... i work in computer repair and we can hook computers up remotely to have them cleaned.... 9/10 times we have to clean the major issues manually before connecting to our internal remote service.

I am not saying that the service above cant do things... but really, cmon its not a cyber deal... ANYONE else if they posted something like this in this section would have their thread deleted and or moved.

Fine Print:
This is a one time anything fix. You are entitled to as much time is needed in order to fix the issue you are experiencing.
* Notice: All sales are final, we do not accept returns or refunds.

Are you kidding me? You must be seriously joking..... 1 time INTERNET fix for $60? We have knowledgeable techs in the city who will come TO THE HOME for half that.... I must say I did pass this over initially, but came back and decided to look at it. That price is absurd.

I worked in a domain with something over 100,000 objects (PCs/users/servers/etc). I worked on the support desk for 2 years as an intern, 4 years after being hired on full time, then spent 2 years doing server/active directory administration while also doing escalation support and training helpdesk staff.

That said, I fixed the fake AV stuff manually and remotely on the regular. I was gangster with it. That was probably one of the most common virus issues we saw. Most variants of this can be defused through remote registry, no need to remote control even. User powers on and connects to home network, I connect via remote registry to hack the reg keys that activate it upon startup, then I use the mapped network drive to the admin share on C and use cacls to clean up the leftover virus files and repair the damage. Once that is set, I'd login to the machine via remote control, ensure things are working normally with the browser, and run a regular virus scan and malwarebytes and tell them to call me back once those scans finish or if they have any further problems within the next week.

Proxy virus changes only effect HTTP traffic (users on that machine and their ability to visit webpages), they don't impact the ability to remote control, remote comp management, or remote log viewing... Proxy settings don't have anything to do with remote problem remediation, other than the users inability to access websites normally.

So services like this, if their staff is proficient, can fix most everything that is found in the wild. What they can't fix, they say they offer a money back guarantee on. :shrug: Much of their fixes would likely require walking a user through things, as their remote support capability likely isn't what it was within a domain doing internal employee support - we had stock images, and standard configurations which are an advantage for support teams.

This is a 15% discount on a technology related service. The site ownership determines what qualifies as a cyber deal and what does not. If this were started by a new member it would be deleted as spam. We don't delete or move anything else from regular members in this section as far as I have ever seen.

@doz: I agree the price is absurd.

Proxy virus changes only effect HTTP traffic (users on that machine and their ability to visit webpages), they don't impact the ability to remote control, remote comp management, or remote log viewing... Proxy settings don't have anything to do with remote problem remediation, other than the users inability to access websites normally.

So services like this, if their staff is proficient, can fix most everything that is found in the wild.

Fwiw, the first thing any remote site has to do is establish a connection with the user, in which case the user will need to either have the remote software installed ahead of time (unlikely in this case), or go to a webpage to download it. Most nasty stuff nowadays renders the basic internet use of an infected computer moot, or somehow inhibits the user's ability to launch applications, etc. Most of the time we just run combofix in safe mode to remove things, but we're usually at the machine or the user has it already on their hard drive and we walk them through it.

I think the criticisms of remote tech services brought up in this thread are valid, regardless of who is offering the services and their connection to this website.

Fwiw, the first thing any remote site has to do is establish a connection with the user, in which case the user will need to either have the remote software installed ahead of time (unlikely in this case), or go to a webpage to download it. Most nasty stuff nowadays renders the basic internet use of an infected computer moot, or somehow inhibits the user's ability to launch applications, etc. Most of the time we just run combofix in safe mode to remove things, but we're usually at the machine or the user has it already on their hard drive and we walk them through it.

I think the criticisms of remote tech services brought up in this thread are valid, regardless of who is offering the services and their connection to this website.

my point exactly.

I agree. There's FTP and a bunch of easy ways to get files on a system if it has internet connectivity at least. If they are charging that amount for support, I would hope they have reasonable professional methods. Most remote tech services aren't going to be well trained enough, and will not be able to resolve a lot of issues remotely - this one in particular, I don't know. My initial opinion expectation is highly skeptical though.

Funny part, you couldn't pay me enough to do direct tech support to the public because it would drive me insane and people are rude, however I still think the price is exorbitant. :)

So to reiterate - I don't have any idea about the quality of service/lack thereof or anything else about the company making the offer. ND4 said some things weren't possible, when in fact I have done and can do many of those things. So my point was only to convey that a lot of fixes can be done remotely, even on a badly exploited system. I don't know if they're able to do it or not, but I would hope they would be for the price.

Last edited:
I've actually built a bootable WinPE disk with remote access software on it, that my family members in other States could boot up and give me offline access to their machine.

If I worked in a less security-conscience environment, I could create a system that could use a similar disk and have computer boot up with PXE. I'd pretty much be able to do 90% of a field techs job remotely.

ND4 said some things weren't possible, when in fact I have done and can do many of those things. So my point was only to convey that a lot of fixes can be done remotely, even on a badly exploited system. I don't know if they're able to do it or not, but I would hope they would be for the price.

The prerequisite for accomplishing those repairs has more to do with in-house network infrastructure. In a domain/local/trusted network, RDP and other methods are available, but for true internet based remote work these are not and in 99% of the toughest cases I've tackled lately, there was no way to remotely help the user through the internet without having first done something (ie - loaded remote software) ahead of time to make the support channel possible. The reason companies like fixmypc.com succeed is that in order for the customer to access their service they need a working internet connection and browser, to go to their website. It's then easy to assume any problem found isn't serious because they can fulfill the first requirement -- accessing the website. They make their money fixing annoyance (fakealerts) and other minor issues.

Just wanted to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. Home support (the target of most online tech support companies) and domain support are very different.

I'd be interested if someone from that support site came here to explain how exactly they defeat current malware/rootkits, considering the obstacles inherent in their connectivity to the user.

Last edited:
I worked in a domain with something over 100,000 objects (PCs/users/servers/etc). I worked on the support desk for 2 years as an intern, 4 years after being hired on full time, then spent 2 years doing server/active directory administration while also doing escalation support and training helpdesk staff.

That said, I fixed the fake AV stuff manually and remotely on the regular. I was gangster with it.

You.... win ...

Meh, I wouldn't say that. Pinky had a good point, its different in a domain environment. My point was remote support can do quite a bit... His point (and nd4's point) was it gets a lot more complicated over the internet with strangers, and he's right.

Back