• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Spring 2020 will FINALLY! give us the option of Security Updates ONLY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Windows 10 Spring 2020 update will officially separate crucial security updates from features, hidden telemetry tools and nagware "updates"!!!
Always knew this day would come - but we had to wait five years of entirely unnecessary optional updates taking down entire systems...

If you are a Beta Tester, also known as a regular Windows 10 user, thank your for getting this thing ready for us when Windows 8 expires in 2023! :D

"Disabling automatic driver updates, though, could cause more problems for the machine. This is because Windows 10 may install driver updates that are required for Windows 10 to work properly or for you to be able to upgrade to a newer version."

But I'm glad they're going to be giving back the option. Microsoft must have responded to a lot of push back from the customer base.

Microsoft must have responded to a lot of push back from the customer base.
My opinion is that this has everything to do with Windows 7 End of Life. Trying to get more people to update to 10 quicker.
Windows 10 is on track to be finally usable in 2023 when Windows 8 reaches End of Life.
Plenty of shenanigans still present in Windows 10. They will be taken out in 2023.

Windows 10 is very usable now. I don't understand why you say otherwise.

Mandatory Operating System updates alone [not security updates] mean Russian Roulette is being played at least twice a year, every year.
Nothing in the stable Windows 8 world compares even remotely to the sheer volume of carnage Windows 10 Feature Updates have inflicted, for almost half a decade now.

I think you are exaggerating. Sure, M$ has been more controlling with Windows 10 than with earlier operating systems but "sheer volume of carnage"? I disagree. The only major problems Win 10 updates have caused involved a relatively small number of people who lost some data when 1903 was originally released. The rest of the update issues were spotty and mostly benign. And are you forgetting the terrible brokenness of the update process with Windows XP and Windows 7. You and I spent many hours trying to create a slip streamed Win 7 installer that fixed that. Remember?

I'm not sure how you are using the term "usable" but once you get familiar with where things are found it's not hard to work with. IMO, it's heads and shoulders above Windows 8.1 with that very unusable tile and charm interface. That was terrible!

Last edited:
I've got Win10 installed on... dozen plus home systems. More than a handful of them have quirks I can't resolve short of a reinstall. Never had this much trouble with Win7 on more systems. I don't think it is entirely surprising given complexity is increasing. The frequency of occurrence might not be helped but the severity when problems inevitably appear needs to be better controlled.

Pretty much skipped Win8.x (had it on one personal laptop and my work laptop for a time).

I understand why MS wanted to "standardize" the OS-to make it easier for MS. All the little tweaks and fixes they endured to make Windows 7 work on everything was probably expensive as hell, but the end result was a damn fine operating system that did work on everything.

Windows 10 is a kludge that seems to be produced with zero regard for all the niceties that ended up making 7 so damn smooth. The UI in 10 looks like it was designed by a 4 year old and has all the refinement of a dadaism revival.

TLDR; Windows 7 worked with your gear. Windows 10 requires you to make your gear work with it. Less user friendly and way less accommodating. My $ 0.02

Less user friendly and way less accommodating.

On that note I feel Windows has a different problem. The userbase is as diverse as the hardware variations. MS are trying to make Win10 work for someone using a computer for the first time, as well as those who have progressed through MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, and beyond. What might help one group doesn't necessarily help another.

I really wish Win10 (also Win7) had a "power user mode" or otherwise some default user profile customisations. I don't want a million nags and tips. Save that for the noobs. Also don't hide what might be scary stuff. Give me the exposed guts to fiddle with as I please. Everyone will have their own preferences, but this would be a good start especially for those who use multiple systems.

Get over it guys! Windows 10 is here to stay. You have probably forgotten how you complained about every other Windows version that came out until the next one came out.

I said 7 was the greatest thing since sliced bread from the day I first installed it after years of XP, and 5 years after Windows 7 was introduced it was a much more refined OS than Windows 10 is, or shows any signs of being. I keep hearing "by 2023". Seriously? So we hope that it can be almost as good as 7 only 8 years from release??? And the update "glitch" was intentional, not an OS flaw. Windows 10 is an ongoing Beta.

I don't want the updates that slow my Skylake down, security or otherwise, yet M$ will still force them in to my computing environment. So while the OP is good news it still isn't enough to get me to switch.

Kludge.

Get over it guys! Windows 10 is here to stay. You have probably forgotten how you complained about every other Windows version that came out until the next one came out.

It's been downhill since Windows 2000.

Meh... Too little, too late for me. Unless you are a heavy gamer, there are other options. Even gaming is starting to get more nix support every month.

But with few exceptions, these issues only affect a very small percentage of Windows 10 users. Most people report no problems. Sensationalism. My biggest gripe with Windows 10 updates is that historically they sometimes change default settings. For instance, changing the default printer or moving you back to Edge as the default browser. And even at that it's just a matter of changing the setting back to what you want. And it seems that is not happening as much lately so maybe MS modified that practice. The biggest issue I have had lately is updates switching of Windows Defender Virus and threat protection. My customer base is typically unaware that has happened and don't know they are unprotected.

Last edited:
Back