• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Spring 2020 will FINALLY! give us the option of Security Updates ONLY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The resetting of (some) settings typically only happens on a major update, twice a year. The routine monthly minor updates don't usually do that. If there is some genuine reason to need to reset settings during update, fine, but is it that hard for them to store the user setting and restore it after update? When you multiply with many systems it gets tedious to check and correct them all manually. I did debate at one time if it would be possible to identify all the customisations I do for each install, and stick it in some super batch file, preferably working on both home and pro versions. Then I can just run that to restore sanity. Some like default browser isn't easily automatable if even Google can't do it for you when you install Chrome... they just direct you to the setting to change it yourself.

Haven't come across the disabling of the threat protection. That's particularly interesting given how hard they make it to achieve if you do want to disable it...

Yes, the disabling of the threat protection is the real troubling one. I provide tech support to a 180 student body non profit k-10 school and I was getting this over and over when doing maintenance on the school's computers at the end of the summer. So there are many student profiles that are involved. I can't just change something in my admin profile on each computer and expect it to carry over to the student profiles. I sent a tutorial with pics of how to check the status of Windows Defender to the teachers and they were cooperative with that but just checking it one time I'm finding out is not going to ensure it stays that way.

I said 7 was the greatest thing since sliced bread from the day I first installed it after years of XP, and 5 years after Windows 7 was introduced it was a much more refined OS than Windows 10 is, or shows any signs of being. I keep hearing "by 2023". Seriously? So we hope that it can be almost as good as 7 only 8 years from release??? And the update "glitch" was intentional, not an OS flaw. Windows 10 is an ongoing Beta.

I don't want the updates that slow my Skylake down, security or otherwise, yet M$ will still force them in to my computing environment. So while the OP is good news it still isn't enough to get me to switch.

Kludge.

My cousin said something to me once that I figure you'd get a chuckle from: "I'm a console gamer not because I think it's superior, but because eventually, sticking to older hardware for W7 support will start to affect my performance."

My cousin said something to me once that I figure you'd get a chuckle from: "I'm a console gamer not because I think it's superior, but because eventually, sticking to older hardware for W7 support will start to affect my performance."

I'll just upgrade my display and put more of the load on the GPU. LOL

I think we went over this, twice I year they flush your customizations and do a reinstall, not an update, a reinstall of many default settings on Windows 10.
None of that happens on 8 and that alone is not worth giving up 8 for.

If each of the Windows 10 updates only affects a "few" (million) users by breaking things, it's still bad. Considering how many update issues MS has it's only a matter of time before everyone has some sort of issue-or multiple ongoing issues. Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer, the basic principle behind Windows 10, has turned out to work about as well as expected by all the naysayers.

We tried to warn you. You're welcome, anyway. :D

After each Windows 10 update, I run OOSU10 and shut down the new and/or re-enabled bits that popped back up.

Back