• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WINE Installed Or Not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I just went to the WINE site to try it out, so I could run the Win SETI client emulated (I've heard it gets better times then the linux compiled for some reason). I downloaded the RPM, and when it finally finished downloading, it ran and said that it needed some dependencies. It asked for my install CD, which I gave it, and it happily copied from the CDs for a minute or two. After that, it appeared to be finished, but I can't find any trace of WINE on the system!

Did I do something wrong, or I blind :D
JigPu

The versions of RPM I've used usually just spit out the list of failed dependencies and quit: you have to track them down and install them yourself, and then reinstall the package you started with. I'd try attempting to install the Wine RPM again.

If you want to check if Wine is installed, first type at a command prompt:
wine

If you get a command not found error, then you either don't have the binary, or its not in your $PATH. To be sure, type, as root:
slocate -u
(should take a while)
slocate wine

That will give you a list of every file on the system with the stirng 'wine' in its name. If you have the wine binary, it will be in that list.

Back