• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless ethernet adaptor (kinda like the USB) does it exist?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hi guys!

I got a hold of a G3 wallstreet laptop, and its pre-USB days. now itd be nothing to go and buy an airport card for it, but i saw something in one of the stores the other day (circuit city or best buy or something..cant remember) and i thought i saw some weird adaptor that plugged into the ethernet port that had a wire on it. I was under the impression that something like this SHOULD exist, where all you do is plugin the wireless adaptor into the Cat5 port, and itd pickup your wireless signal, with no drivers.

ANything like this exist? See, i WOULD get the airport for the laptop, but i drag my dual G5 and sometimes an old P3 out to my garage for recording....so itd be really nice to just plug it into multiple comps, and itd be PORTABLE, which is why i wouldnt want to get a wireless router for outside.

My modem has bult in wireless, usb, cat5, HPNA etc..

Thanks in advance guys.

yea thats what im looking for...just dunno if theres a pc/mac version. youd think so with all the technology out there today...itd be like basically a 1 port wireless router

you could also use a wrt54gx with third party firmware as a wireless bridge. then you just plug the lappy into the bridge which is connected wirelessly to your wireless router you already have.

wow thats a nice router.

Iim looking more for portability though, maybe something thatd run off of the power of the ethernet adaptor

Back