• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wooden case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Confuzie

Registered
Hello guys , i am planing to build wooden pc case after new year , so for now i am colecting info for the materials . My main reason for this is because my old case was builded so badly my videocard drop 10 degree celsius just because i pull the system out of the case , also i am a bit afraid with the case being made with only wood the temps will be actualy higher :( and also i wanted to make it silence and what do you guys think of EMI/RFI Shielding if i should take in consideration to somehow protect from them and acousting foam? I wanna have room in it so i will build a large one , also i want to build piece by piece like lego or something , if i need something a little bit different ( maybe a new cooler or something like that) so i could just replace that piece . And i was thinking about how the motherboard screws will fit in wood and i was thinking at those screws
to screw it on the wood and then screw the motherboard in that screw or if you guys have something better i am eyes and ears . I really want to hear your suggestion and opinions about this ;)

My rig :
Cpu: i3 6100
Motherboard: Msi z170a gaming pro
Videocard: Gigabite gtx 780 winforce x3
Cooler : corsair h80i
Psu: Sirtec High Power Element Smart 750W
Hdd:1
Ssd:1

First off this will take some time and might cost just a much in the long run ( especially if you include your time and tools needed ) .
A wooden case will work just as good a metal , just take air flow into consideration you will want plenty of air movement . More low speed fans will give lower noise than less high speed .
Dust filters IMO are a must for any new case and wouldn't even look @ one with out them so I would suggest trying to figure what and how in your case .
You can probably pull the standoffs ( kinda like the things in your pic) from your old case they just unscrew , then make template or put your mb in and draw where they need to go .
Are you going to have front IO ports ? ( maybe hack up old case to get some )

Are you planning on a normal shaped case or somthing like a HTPC or a cube ?
Im all for DIY and welcome you to try but If it was me I would just spend 50-100$ on a nice new case with the goodies that you might be looking for .

@console yea , i realize now this will take the same amount of money :( i didin't take into consideration the price of the fans/dust filtrer and i wanted 2 usb 3.0 in the front

About new case i saw this http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P300-TemperedGlass.html and it looks tempting for equivalent of 80 dolars

I make the scheme in paint , and at stage 1 it looks pretty similar with the eclipse one :

But i also want to somehow cool vrm and the back of motherboard too because i wanna overclock the cpu and maybe in the future i will buy some i5 or something like that , so i dont know how to cool vrm without broke the airflow , i come up with only this :

And the advatage of making this i will measure every component so it can fit perfectly

Last edited:
That is a nice case for the price . I am a big fan of the fractal design mesify C very top notch cooling

Back